Who should attend
Anyone who is interested in learning more about PR, and who is keen to pick up the basics.
About the course
A compact course on Public Relations (PR) for beginners as well as those who are in communication roles who would like to have a quick overview of PR and its roles and functions.
## Course Objectives
To provide an insight into PR and to equip participants with a sound understanding of the principles and basic techniques of PR for day-to-day operations and in a crisis.
## Course Outline
- Introduction to Public Relations (PR) and Principles
- Definition of PR and its key principles
- The role of PR in an organization
- How to leverage on effective PR when reaching out to stakeholders and other ‘publics’
- PR conventions and terms
- The importance of corporate image and role of PR in developing and sustaining that image
Publicity and promotions to benefit an organization
- Types of publicity – positive and negative
- How publicity and promotions contribute to an organization’s corporate image
Negative publicity that is detrimental to an organization
- How to anticipate and respond to negative publicity
What is a crisis?
- Types of crisis
- How corporate image and brands are affected by a crisis
- How to employ PR effectively when a crisis strikes an organization
- Communication objectives and key messages in a crisis
- How to employ PR proactively in crisis and issues management
- Tools of the trade in crisis communication
Online crisis communications
- How online media has evolved as a key player in crises today
- How to utilize online media effectively in a crisis
Salvaging a reputation after a crisis
- How PR can be used to restore an organization’s reputation after a crisis
Introduction to encounters with the Media/Interview Techniques
- Understanding the different types of media (mainstream and online)
- How the media operates
- Media terms and conventions
- How to engage the different media to reach out effectively to key audiences
- How to handle the different types of media interviews
Introduction to Events Management
- Types of events
- Planning and strategies involved
Group work/practical session: Public Relations Campaign
- This will be the finale to the three-day course. Participants will develop and present a PR Campaign based on a scenario provided to demonstrate the principles, key concepts and techniques that have been covered in the course
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.