Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Managers and business owners in a wide range of business disciplines, in both the public and private sectors for whom successful negotiation with colleagues is critical to performance
- Sales and business development executives who must negotiate to achieve a balance of satisfying customer interests and protecting their own
- Purchasing executives who need to explore ways of creating and capturing more value in supplier relationships
- Senior managers who wish to strengthen their negotiation hand when working with stakeholders such as board members, business partners and regulators.
About the course
Negotiation is a critical skill for competitiveness in all businesses, but how much time do you place on shaping your negotiation strategies and sharpening your skills? Few of us enter negotiations with much more than our instincts and some cursory planning, exposing ourselves to risk if our opponent is better prepared or has a greater arsenal of negotiation tactics.
Sometimes we don’t know even how well - or how badly – we have fared in the negotiation; our opponents certainly don’t tell us. At best we have a subjective feeling for what is a satisfactory outcome, without giving much consideration to what could have been achieved with a better negotiation strategy.
This course will give the participant the tools and skills needed to defend their interests and attain their goals in negotiation. It provides strategies for achieving better outcomes and even the most experienced negotiators will enhance their negotiation skills by adopting a comprehensive framework of negotiation strategies, expanding their repertoire of tactics, and reflecting on their style, strengths and weaknesses.
The course combines action learning, practical insights, and leading-edge theoretical concepts. A strong emphasis is placed on skill development and practice through the use of role-play and diagnostic reflection.
- Greater effectiveness at the negotiating table, especially when confronting challenges such as hard bargainers;
- Create maximum-value deals for all parties on a sustainable basis;
- Productive management of the tension between creating value jointly and claiming value individually;
- Effective handling of complexities, dealing with multiple parties, issues and agendas and negotiating around evolving time frames;
- Clear application of principles for internal negotiations and the management of conflict within and between organisational teams and divisions;
- Manage emotions and people-related problems in negotiations and conflict situations
Programme delivery consists of a number of highly dynamic and interactive teaching methods, including individual feedback sessions, case studies, classroom discussions, lectures and practical exercises. Participants are divided into small groups designed to foster a high level of trust between participants and faculty, thereby creating a powerful and enriching learning environment. The programme is delivered over three consecutive days on campus at UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School.
Identifying Negotiation Strengths and Weaknesses Participants will be facilitated in assessing their personal strengths and weaknesses as negotiators, to prime them for rapid learning over the duration of this course.
PREPARING FOR NEGOTIATIONS
- Understand strategic leadership and identify appropriate growth strategies
- Acquire tools and techniques for developing strategic routes that will achieve and manage business growth
- Thrive in a rapidly changing, highly uncertain and turbulent environment
- Understand and enhance personal style in executing strategy and leading growth. Identifying Negotiation Strengths and Weaknesses
Participants will be facilitated in assessing their personal strengths and weaknesses as negotiators, to prime them for rapid learning over the duration of this course.
Participants will learn the dynamics of bargaining situations and the secrets of effective bargaining skills, and how to combine these into a negotiation strategy that is both co-operative and competitive.
Conflict Management and Dispute Resolution
Managing conflict and resolving disputes are key challenges for executives. Supported by a challenging dispute resolution exercise, participants will learn the do’s and don’ts for cost-effective and satisfactory management of conflict through negotiation.
Internal Negotiations and Influence
In many organisations, executives spend as much time or more negotiating with and trying to influence their peers and managers as they do with external parties. Tactics and strategies for internal influence and negotiation are explicitly addressed in this workshop.
The presence of more than two parties can considerably complicate a negotiation. Participants will learn how to navigate their way nthrough multi-party negotiations.
Going Beyond Win-Win Negotiation
Win-win is the most widely-misunderstood concept in the field of negotiation and many common misconceptions expose negotiators to unnecessary risks and sub-optimal outcomes. Participants will learn how to satisfy the interests of other parties while protecting their own interests and enhancing their own outcomes.
Negotiators who find themselves at an apparent disadvantage can at times do a considerable amount to improve their power. Participants will explore and practice a range of techniques for increasing their power in negotiations.
Role-play and Debriefing
Role-plays will be used throughout the course to provide participants with the opportunity to practice their negotiation skills nand test new tactics.
Stephen is an experienced trainer and consultant specialising in the field of negotiation, influence, persuasion and communication skills and has fifteen years’ experience in management consulting, corporate communications, strategic planning and change management. Stephen lectures on MBA and MSc...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.