Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Negotiation Dynamics is designed for executives who have at least eight to ten years of management experience and have gained substantial experience in conducting and supervising business negotiations.
Participants include executives with many different roles, including:
- Board members
- Executives involved in mergers, acquisitions or joint-venture negotiations
- Project Managers
- Human resources managers
- Sales and procurement managers
- Audit and compliance managers
- Key-account managers
- Barristers and lawyers.
About the course
Develop your negotiation skills
We are all experienced negotiators. We face challenging and complex problems of persuasion and influence on a daily basis. We buy and sell. We manage workers and work for managers. We deal with friends, family, colleagues, merchants, organisations and institutions all the time. Yet building agreement among people who often do not share the same interests, perceptions and values is challenging and sometimes elusive. What are some of the reasons for falling short of success – and how can we address them?
The Negotiation Dynamics programme examines stumbling blocks that cause negotiation to fail and what can be done about them. At the same time, it teaches you how to become a better, more effective negotiator, able to build sustainable, relationship-enhancing deals.
In three intensive days, in a challenging, action-orientated international environment, you will develop your personal negotiation style, learning new skills and strategies and, above all, getting the practice you need to be confident and effective.
HOW YOU BENEFIT
- Improve your negotiation outcomes. Increase your efficiency, build better relationships with fewer conflicts, drive more engagement and gain more confidence
- Learn best practices and processes. Be equipped with the necessary knowledge to navigate any negotiation, from preparing and debriefing a negotiation, to situational awareness that will allow you to understand the best negotiation moves to take at any given moment, understanding what happened to predicting what is likely to happen next
- Practice, practice, practice. Acquire hands-on practice enabling you to strengthen weak points and preparing you to return to work
- Maximise value and minimise risk in your negotiations. Develop a sustainable and situational approach for maximising value and minimising risk and resistance in your negotiation
- Develop a new mindset. Acquire new tools, change your behaviour and develop a new mindset
- Follow-up learning. Post-programme 1-on-1 coaching sessions that encourage a continuous, lifelong learning journey that will help you influence thoughts, feelings, perceptions and behaviours
The best way to become a strong negotiator is to practice. In Negotiation Dynamics participants learn through a combination of presentations, interactive exercises, group consultation sessions on real negotiating challenges and a series of hands-on simulations. They are encouraged to share experiences and test new ideas in the safe environment of the classroom.
After the programme, participants will be more effective and reflective negotiators. With the help of a conceptual framework, they will be able to better diagnose problems and craft outcomes that are more valuable and more likely to be accepted by other parties, thus building consensus inside and outside of their organisations.
UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS NO MATTER THE ENVIRONMENT
The excellent negotiator prepares strategically, recognises the available choices, seeks value, carefully communicates and is proactive in leading the process. By focusing on the process, negotiators can become excellent independently of the situation they find themselves in. Spanning many different nationalities, cultures, industries and functions and based on a tested cross-cultural negotiation system, you will be immersed in a 100% cross-cultural experience.
STRATEGY AND IMPLMENTATION: LEARN TO THINK AND DO
To consistently perform at the highest level, negotiators need to have an iterative process of thinking clearly and implementing effectively. Engage in a series of hands-on simulations set in domestic and international contexts with exercises that emphasise the psychological and procedural aspects of bargaining, promote value creation and distribution, as well as clarify the role of trust. There will also be a special focus on organised preparation and process analysis
THERE IS NO SINGLE ‘RIGHT’ WAY TO NEGOTIATE
Every person has strengths and weaknesses, particularities and preferences that are different and unique. Avoid delivering a generic approach that would surely fall short of expectations and instead invest in a delivery that is highly customisable for each individual. Learn from the experiences of others, experiment with new ideas in a safe environment, become aware of what you do well to develop new skills to complement those you already possess.
Coaching can be a transformational experience, complementing in-class learning. When paired with training, coaching has been shown to significantly help change behaviour in 85% of cases.
Unique to INSEAD, our post-programme coaching takes the form of a two hour virtual workshop that can be used within two months of completing the programme. Run by experienced coaches, you will get:
- Further support once you have left INSEAD to ensure you are applying the content and theory learnt on the programme
- Further help with increasing your productivity once back at work
Horacio Falcão is a Senior Affiliate Professor of Decision Sciences at INSEAD, where he teaches and researches on Negotiation Sciences, while also directing the INSEAD executive education Negotiation Dynamics programme. He is the creator of the Value Negotiation system: a strategic and flexible a...
Filip is an adjunct professor of Decision Sciences at INSEAD. His roles include both teaching faculty and coach in the public executive program on Negotiation Dynamics, directed by professor Horacio Falcão. Filip also presents tailored in-house programs on negotiations, e.g. market access negotia...
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.