Who should attend
Managers, directors, business analysts and anyone involved in planning and/or implementing strategies for business units and organizations.
About the course
To be strategic is to be well prepared ahead of time for different eventualities. Therefore, strategic planning requires a state of mind that has space for the future, is versatile enough to perceive different possible scenarios, and creative to think out new solutions for possible problems and issues that may arise. At all levels, strategic thinking has become necessary for both short and long-term success. The key lies not just in individual skills, but also in the ability to engage others in an on-going strategy process.
This training will get your team, department or organization where it needs to be. Starting with the bigger picture and moving onto the practical implementation issues, this course takes you right through the strategic planning process with helpful tools, techniques and ideas at every stage.
- A knowledge and understanding of strategy and strategic planning.
- A knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of strategic planning.
- An understanding of why strategic planning is important for organizational success.
- An appreciation of the importance of vision and mission.
- Skills in setting vision and mission statements.
- An understanding of the concept of strategic thinking.
- Skills in analyzing the internal and external environment.
- Skills to convert a strategic plan to an operating plan.
- Skills in setting goals, objectives and targets.
- Learn a step-by-step model for planning the journey from current position to the future.
- Learn and use practical tools and techniques.
- Assess the benefits and risks of strategic planning.
- Learn when to use action plans to implement strategy and when to use a more flexible system.
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENTS
- The purpose and benefits of writing vision and mission statements
- Communicating the vision and mission
- Creating a shared vision
STRATEGIC PLANNING BASICS
- Format and content for the agenda document
- Understanding strategy
- 7 Principles of strategic thinking
- Visual thinking
- Insight, forecasting and foresight
- The distinction between strategy, goals and objectives
- Strategic thinking versus strategic planning
- Goal development
- Writing SMART objectives
- Setting Key Performance Indicators
- The use of Key Result Areas
- Setting strategy
IDENTIFY STRATEGIC DIRECTION
- Identifying the key strategic issues for your organization
- SWOT and PESTLE analysis
- Competitor analysis
IMPLEMENTING THE STRATEGY
- Understanding the key factors involved in implementing strategy
- Using action planning tools such as logical frame working, action planning grids and planning wheels
- Communicating your strategic plan
DEVELOPING CONTROL SYSTEMS AND PERFORMANCE MEASURES
- Approaches to measuring performance excellence
- Why do organizations need excellence
- How does excellence relate to performance
- Setting targets
- The Balanced Scorecard
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.