Strategic Thinking & Business Planning
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with ICTD International Centre for Training and Development.Full disclaimer.
Strategic thinking and planning are now an essential part of a leader's daily work. In order to maintain their organization's competitive edge, leaders at all levels of an organization need to evaluate and prioritize work, according to strategic goals. A successful strategic process engages everyone in the ongoing strategy of an organization, rather than leaving it up to individuals.
This programmed includes a series of participative activities which will help delegates to enhance the long-term success of their organization. By the end of the course, they will have acquired the thought processes, frameworks, and analysis tools needed to engage others in the strategic thinking and planning process. They will also have identified appropriate strategic planning methods relevant to their organizational needs. They will be prepared to lead the broader strategic processes required to outperform their competitors, and reshape their organization for a successful long-term future.
By the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Define the strategic planning and control process and its main components.
- Apply strategic thinking.
- Develop organizational and departmental strategies.
- Use the strategy of the organization to determine Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Utilize KPIs to draft an organizational balanced scorecard.
- Convert a strategic plan to an operating plan.
Strategic Management and Strategic Thinking
- Evaluation of Strategic Management
- Strategic Thinking versus Strategic Planning
- The Strategic Planning and Control Process
- Benefits of Strategic Management
Analysis of the Environment
- Results of the Analysis
- The SWOT Analysis
- Participation in SWOT Analysis
- List of Critical Issues
- Benefits and Pitfalls
Vision and Mission Statements
- Why Vision and Mission Statements
- What is a Vision? What is a Mission?
- Benefits of Statements
- How Vision and Mission Statements are Formulated
- A Checklist for a Complete Mission Statement
- Strategic Goals and Critical Success Factors
- Key Result Areas
- Communicating the Vision and Mission
Goals, Objectives and Creative Strategies
- Goals, Objectives and Targets
- Financial versus Non-Financial Objectives
- The Use of Key Result Areas
- Adopting Effective Strategies
- Value Innovation and Creative Strategies
- Departmental Strategies
Developing Operating Plans
- From Vision to Action Plan
- The How-How Technique to Develop Plans
- Criteria of Effective Action Plans
- Linking Goals, Strategies, Action Plans and Budgets
- Developing Departmental Plans
Developing Control Systems and Performance Measures
- Approaches to Control
- Using Key Result Areas (KRAs) to Create Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Setting Targets
- The Balanced Scorecard
- Overcoming Barriers to the Implementation of Strategic Management
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Who should attend
All managers and staff who are involved in influencing, formulating or supporting the long term planning and strategy of their department and/or organization, as well as those who are responsible for linking, measuring and improving the performance of others.