About the course
The ILM Level 5 Certificate in Leadership and Management is designed for practising middle managers, helping them to develop their skills and experience, improve performance and prepare for senior management responsibilities.
What are the benefits of a professional ILM qualification?
Benefits for individuals
- Use core management techniques to drive better results
- Develop your ability to lead, motivate and inspire
- Provide strategic leadership as well as day-to-day management
- Benchmark your managerial skills
- Raise your profile in your organisation.
Benefits for employers
- Encourage strategic thinking at this level of management to foster business improvement
- Engage middle managers with training and development – these qualifications are designed to provide clear, measurable benefits to career-minded professionals
- Customise these qualifications to your development needs.
The qualifications are made up of a broad range of units covering skills in six core areas – working with people, managing yourself and personal skills, providing direction, facilitating innovation and change, achieving results, and using resources. The flexibility in unit choice allows the qualification to be tailored to meet the needs of the individual and employer
Each unit in this qualification focuses on a specific set of skills and knowledge, in six broad areas:
- Working with people – a range of units including how to deal effectively with stress and conflict, manage remote workers, build excellent customer relations
- Managing yourself and personal skills – including units that focus on assessing your own leadership performance and developing critical thinking
- Providing direction – such as leading teams to achieve organisational goals and objectives and making strong and informed management decisions.
- Facilitating innovation and change – for example, build a culture of continued improvement, and lead people through change
- Achieving results – such as managing for efficiency and effectiveness, and managing projects that get results
- Using resources – including managing facilities and managing information.
Why choose an ILM qualification?
- Every year the ILM qualifies 70,000 leaders and managers, helping them develop the critical skills to succeed, and in doing so make a real difference to the present and future of workplaces in the UK and globally.
- We work with organisations of all sizes and offer a robust programme that gives customers the freedom to focus on those leadership skills they most urgently need, whether that’s decision-making, teamwork, creativity, strategic planning, or anything else.
- We pride ourselves on our quality and quantifiable offer that is immediately relevant and applicable to the reality of daily working life.
Agenda for the three days
A combination of activities, personal reflective questionnaires and the application of knowledge into skills encourages personal development and leadership in a safe environment. Combining these ideas into a robust Personal Development Plan which can inform the writing of assignments to meet the performance criteria will develop confidence in leadership and in the completion of the qualification requirements.
Day 1 – Becoming an Effective Leader
- Identifying when to manage and when to lead, through conscious decision-making
- Role-modelling leadership and organisational values consistently to demonstrate authenticity and resilience
- Examining leadership values and how these can be best applied to deliver organisational alignment
- Developing a set of tools to identify appropriate leadership styles based on individuals and the situations to deliver business performance
- Recognising the application of theories of motivation to engage and inspire team members for improved performance and organisational alignment
- Incorporating emotional intelligence into the leadership tool-kit to acknowledge the effect of your own emotions on the leadership of others
- Developing a Dispersed leadership approach and growing independence in your team members
Day 2 – Developing and Leading Teams to Achieve Organisational Goals and Objectives
- A combination or theory and practice in team development and team leadership
- Examining the challenges of team leadership against new ideas and models
- Identifying the techniques to monitor and manage teams and the delivery of performance against organisational goals
- How to motivate and develop talent, including feedback approaches to optimise engagement of team members at all levels
- Development of individuals’ coaching skills through practical coaching around identified problems
- Recognising the stages of team development and the role of the leader in progressing the team to function effectively
Day 3 – Leading Innovation and Change
- A practical event, based on analysing change and the need for innovative approaches to deliver organisational improvement
- Exploring the VUCA world (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous) and the categorisation of changes
- Consideration of Agile approaches and collaborative problem-solving to motivate team members
- Recognising the emotional responses to change and how to navigate this with individuals
- How to inspire innovative thinking in others and how to respond to errors made whilst learning and piloting new approaches
- Generating a range of different and new options and selecting the most appropriate possible solutions
- Developing the skills to engage and communicate with a range of internal and external stakeholders to ensure the plan is delivered and supported, whilst demonstrating progress against milestones and the overall goal
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.