Essential Management Skills for Administrators: Moving Into Management for Administrators
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Oxford Management Centre.Full disclaimer.
Making the move into management is likely to present new challenges and responsibilities and requires an entirely new skill set. Progressing up the ladder into management is both exciting and daunting. Now you are also responsible for directing, developing and managing others so it is essential to find out how to manage effectively and with positive impact. Being a great manager doesn’t happen automatically, you need to invest time and energy to develop the necessary skills.
It is likely that you are able to make this move because you have been the ‘go to’ person your boss and co-workers have always counted on. But now you need to equip yourself with the qualities of a leader. Now you will be required to know how to motivate and build team morale, take initiative, solve problems, and manage performance.
This exciting Programme has been specifically designed to help delegates understand the manager’s role and to equip them with the key skills necessary to be an excellent and inspiring manager by:
- Clarifying how your role as an administrative professional will be changed by including managerial responsibilities
- Recognising and implementation of effective communication skills
- Understanding personal leadership styles
- Implementing excellent performance management techniques
- Increasing your understanding of self-management skills
- Building motivated and effective teams
Attendance on this programme will equip delegates with the necessary skills and techniques to successfully make the move into management, or if you are already managing, it will refine those skills and help you to be more effective. It will help delegates to manage and lead teams and to personally perform to a high level. By the end of the Seminar you will be able to:
- Communicate clearly and effectively at all levels
- Develop effective personal leadership skills and empower yourself with the confidence and knowledge needed to manage people.
- Build effective teams and empower team members through delegation, coaching and mentoring
- Manage and understand your own stress and that of your team members and recognise the importance of emotional intelligence in building trust in your teams
- Sustain performance and continuous improvement
- Make better and more effective decisions
Trainers at Glomacs pride themselves on delivering stimulating, thought-provoking and inspiring workshops that bring learning to life. The programme environment will be a supportive one in which individuals with varying degrees of experience will be encouraged to share the approaches they currently use as well as trying out new ones that they encounter on the Programme. The programme is based on a combination of interactive activities – group and individual exercises, role plays and discussions – along with more formal inputs. The Programme tutor will be on hand to answer any questions a delegate may have and to act as a facilitator for building and applying new approaches. We aim for the programme to be an enjoyable as well as a learning experience and feel that the mix of styles and learning techniques will prove valuable to those that attend.
Improving leadership and management capability is something that no organisation wishing to achieve long-term success can afford to ignore. You do not become a good manager by osmosis, you need to be willing to adapt and learn new skills. There is no question that good leadership and management can have a truly significant impact on performance, both in the immediate and longer term. Research into what makes organisations perform at a high level has shown that:
- Good management can significantly improve levels of employee engagement
- Good management drives an organisation’s economic prosperity and growth
- Leadership and management skills can be successfully learned and developed
- Good management has a significant impact on the overall public perception of an organisation
- Forward thinking organisations who invest in developing their managers can expect to reap significant rewards in terms of productivity and long-term business success.
Attendees on this programme are aware that their employers are investing in them by helping them to become better managers. This investment will help them perform better in their current role but will also ultimately empower them to become effective leaders. This programme demonstrates that:
- A well trained manager has more confidence in his/her ability to motivate staff and to personally perform well.
- Well trained managers are better able to set realistic goals, develop strategic work plans and make effective decisions
- A manager with good interpersonal skills can help increase understanding between colleagues and solve workplace misunderstandings
- Improved communication skills creates high performing and happier teams
- Managers feel more secure and loyal when their company invests in their personal growth and development
- Well trained managers are more respected by all and are able to motivate teams and retain staff.
Day1 - Your Role as a Manager
- Introductions – Orientation and getting to know each other
- The qualities and Competencies of an effective manager
- Defining the roles and responsibilities of an effective manager
- Handling the transition from being managed to being a manager
- Understanding your personal management styles, strengths and weaknesses
- Understanding your own and others personality & subsequent behaviour
Day2 - Communicating with Impact
- Interacting with others and networking for success – getting yourself seen and heard
- Improving your communication skills – negotiating, influencing, persuading and delegating
- Communicating with clarity; verbally and non-verbally.
- Responding effectively to different communication styles
- Expanding your impact and influence
- Achieving win-win solutions
Day3 - Managing and Leading Teams
- Defining the characteristics of effective teams
- Understanding how teams develop
- Problem solving and Decision making tools
- Team roles and interaction with others
- Maintaining motivation
- Building excellent teams
Day4 - Performance Management
- Introduction to performance management
- High impact regular performance discussions
- Organising effective meetings
- Effective time management skills
- Practical decision making skills
- Conflict Management
Day5 - Developing Emotionally Intelligent and Resilient Teams
- Managing stress and pressure that comes with change and challenge
- Emotional intelligence at work
- Persuasive and effective presentations
- Coaching and mentoring
- Measuring your performance based on objectives, standards, responsibilities set and achieved
- Action Planning
Who should attend
- Ambitious PA’s, Administrators, team leaders who want to make the move into management
- Any employee who wishes to be more proactive, grow in their position and take on more management responsibility.
- Senior Administrators who wish to improve their effectiveness or promotional prospects
- Supervisors and team leaders
- Newly appointed managers
- Anyone who is already a manager and wants to improve their performance