About the course
Examine the roles culture and diversity play in conflict and conflict resolution. Participants will learn to understand how differences are perceived in conflict exchanges. Activities focus on cross-cultural communication techniques to enhance conflict resolution. Dispute resolution methods, perception process and attribution theory are key discussion points.
This workshop provides a detailed examination of the roles culture and identity play in conflict and conflict resolution. Participants will learn to understand, anticipate and engage with cultural and identity differences in conflict exchanges. Discussions and workshop activities will focus on a deep understanding of self and other, as well as cross-cultural communication techniques to enhance conflict resolution.
- Dispute resolution methods in the context of culture and identity
- World views of cultural differences
- Communication/perception process
- Culture, values and conflict
The eCornell Conflict Resolution Certificate is required to be completed prior to starting this course.
If there is a highly experienced professional, we will consider an established set of pre-work in place of the certificate that includes materials from the certificate program. This is to ensure there is shared language and approaches once they enter the course.
What You'll Learn
- Understand the roles that culture and identity play in conflict and conflict resolution
- Learn to understand, anticipate, and engage with cultural and identity differences
- Focus on self-reflection and cross-cultural communication techniques to enhance conflict resolution
- Social Identity Profile
- Mapping of Cultural Context with Approach to Challenging Conversations
- Checking Your Perception Using the Ladder of Inference
- Preparation Questions for Value-based Conflict
- How to Model and Encourage Engagement in Challenging Conversations
Katrina Nobles is the Director of Conflict Programs for the Scheinman Institute on Conflict Resolution at the Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations, focusing on educating the next generation of neutrals and practitioners on campus and in the workplace. Nobles designs curricu...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.