Advanced Personal Leadership Programme
A distinctive and transformative leadership programme
Often chosen by experienced leaders who have been through other development programmes, this totally experiential programme shuns the traditional classroom approach of theory and case studies.
The learning is generated by ‘doing’ leadership
Through two face-to-face modules at Henley, participants work in small peer-groups on leadership tasks, receiving direct and honest feedback in a closed environment.
This experiential experience and the real-time insights received have an immediate impact on self-awareness and leadership soft skills. You will:
- See yourselves as others see you
- Understand how to inspire and motivate the team you lead
- Witness the impact of different leadership approaches and reactions
- Engage in discussions about organisational culture and implementing change.
Profoundly challenging, this experience encourages a depth of personal development and change that goes beyond most other leadership programmes.
The Advanced Personal Leadership Programme is based on the belief that, whatever else they do, leaders need to have the self-awareness and emotional intelligence to work with others in an effective and inspiring way. Therefore this programme creates a space where leaders will explore and address these issues. Its uniqueness lies in the way this is achieved and the depth of exploration and profound conversations that take place.
Leaders operate in an environment of ambiguity and uncertainty and, in order to reflect this context, the programme is quite deliberately not taught, it is totally experiential.
During this programme you will learn by ‘doing leadership’ rather than discussing theory and case studies. The challenges you will manage during the week at Henley enable you to receive direct feedback, and coaching, on your behaviour, strengths and areas for development.
Pre-programme: leadership assessment and access to resources
You will be asked to complete a 360° leadership questionnaire, the results of which will help clarify your areas for development during the programme. As part of the programme joining instructions you will receive access to an online learning portal, including resources such as leadership books and journals online. This access continues for up to 12 months from enrolment.
Module 1 at Henley: Leading individuals, teams and organisations
You will join with others to create a temporary organisation that has to tackle real challenges and dilemmas. All responsibility for managing the issues, the opportunities and the difficulties that arise rests with programme participants. This format allows all participants to consider the challenges of being part of an organisation, including the opportunity to experiment with different styles of leadership, ways of behaving and influencing.
You will face issues including:
- Power and influence
You will return to your organisations with a better understanding of these underlying issues and an improved ability to respond to and manage them.
Feedback and coaching
A team of consultants work with participants; they give continuous, direct and supportive feedback based on their observations Towards the end of module 1 you will have a 1:1 coaching session, to develop a plan of action for your return to work Additional coaching can be provided by Henley if required.
Module 2 and post-programme: Development impact
- During the final half-day of module 1 you will complete a development plan, to take back to your workplace
- You will return to Henley two months later for module 2, a follow-up day for you to review progress, including a further 1:1 coaching session
- Many groups continue to meet regularly after the programme for continued support and to review their challenges.
Benefit from ongoing contact with Henley Business School through:
- Access to resources from the online learning portal for up to 12 months
- Henley alumni status.
Successful leaders know themselves. Participants leave the programme having discovered not only new skills but also renewed self-belief, courage and authority, and a significant growth in confidence. For many this programme represents a real transformation in their leadership and a significant turning point in their career.
Development outcomes are specific to each individual, including:
- Improved ability to recognise, diagnose and manage challenging and sensitive issues within teams and your organisation
- Using the confidential environment to experience real-time feedback, coaching and peer-to-peer discussions on alternative ways to manage senior leadership challenges
- Becoming part of a network of leaders from diverse backgrounds who will continue to share ideas and solutions after the programme.
We recognise that successful organisations require not just skilled, but intellectually and emotionally sophisticated leaders too. In mirroring many of the unpredictable challenges that leaders face, and giving participants the opportunity to explore and reflect on them, this programme significantly changes a participant's ability to respond effectively.
The programme brings together a network of peers, leaders from diverse industry backgrounds, who will share their challenges during the programme, and who are likely to continue as an important support network, for your executive, into the future.
Who should attend
Senior leaders and those aspiring to join this group.