Associate Professor of Organisational Behaviour. Academic Director, Initiative for Learning Innovation and Teaching Excellence at INSEAD Business School
- INSEAD Business School
INSEAD Business School
Gianpiero Petriglieri (@gpetriglieri) is an Associate Professor of Organisational Behaviour at INSEAD. He directs the Management Acceleration Programme, the school’s flagship Executive Education programme for emerging leaders. He is an Academic Director of the INSEAD Initiative for Learning Innovation and Teaching Excellence.
Gianpiero’s research interests bridge the domains of leadership, identity, and learning. His work focuses on how and where people become mindful, effective, and responsible leaders. He is particularly concerned with the development of leadership in the age of "nomadic professionalism," in which authenticity and mobility have replaced loyalty and advancement as hallmarks of virtue and success.
In this context, he contends, a narrow focus on the acquisition of new knowledge and skills is inadequate to develop competent and trustworthy leaders. His research casts a light on the psychological, social, and cultural functions of leadership development. His innovative teaching methods provide an example of how to perform these functions purposefully for the benefit of individuals, organisations, and society at large.
Gianpiero’s research has appeared, or is forthcoming, in leading academic journals including Administrative Science Quarterly, Academy of Learning & Education, and Organization Studies. His work on the personal foundations of leader's development received the GMAC Award for the most significant contribution to graduate management education and the Best Article Award of the Academy of Management Learning & Education. Gianpiero writes regularly for the Harvard Business Review, and for four of the past five years, his essays have been included among the "ideas that shaped management". His work has been featured in various media including the BBC, Financial Times, The Economist, and Businessweek. He has chaired the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on new models of leadership and was shortlisted for the Leadership Award by Thinkers50, the ranking of the most influential management thinkers in the world.
Building on his research, Gianpiero has contributed to refining a unique approach to experiential leadership development that aims to deepen and accelerate the development of individual leaders as well as to broaden and strengthen leadership communities within and across organisations. Besides the Management Acceleration Programme, he directs customised leadership development programmes for multinationals in a variety of industries. He also speaks widely on how to develop and exercise leadership in fast-changing, uncertain, and diverse workplaces.
Gianpiero taught the Leading People and Groups core course in the INSEAD MBA programme for five years, receiving the Outstanding Teacher Award. He currently teaches the Practical Wisdom in Business core course. He has received numerous Dean's Commendations for Teaching Excellence in both MBA and Executive Education programmes. He has held visiting professor positions at the Harvard Business School and at Copenhagen Business School. Prior to joining INSEAD, he contributed regularly to executive education and MBA programmes at the IMD in Switzerland.
Gianpiero holds a Medical Doctorate and a specialisation in Psychiatry from the University of Catania Medical School, Italy, and a diploma in Advanced Organizational Consultation from the Tavistock Institute of Human Relations in London. He has practiced as a psychotherapist and served on the staff of group relations conferences in Europe and the United States.
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Can Business Schools Humanize Leadership? - Academy of Management Learning and Education
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Book Review Disrupt or be Disrupted: A Blueprint for Change in Management Education - Academy of Management Learning and Education
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Leadership and Identity: An Examination of Three Theories and New Research Directions - Oxford University Press
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Unwanted Self: Projective Identification in Leaders' Identity Work - Organization Studies
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Identity Workspaces for Leadership Development - Sage
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Up Close and Personal: Building Foundations for Leaders' Development through the Personalization of Management Learning - Academy of Management Learning and Education
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Identity Workspaces: The Case of Business Schools - Academy of Management Learning and Education
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Stuck in a Moment: A Developmental Perspective on Impasses - Transactional Analysis Journal
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Learning for Leadership: The 'Engineering' and 'Clinical' Approaches - FT Prentice Hall
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - Transcending Polarization: Beyond Binary Thinking - Transactional Analysis Journal
- BOOK CHAPTERS - Beyond "Fun and Games": Outdoor Activities for Meaningful Leadership Development - FT Prentice Hall
- BOOK CHAPTERS - The Merchandising of Leadership - Wiley
- JOURNAL ARTICLES - The Invisible Revealed: Collusion as an Entry to the Group Unconscious - Transactional Analysis Journal
Leadership Development, Identity Dynamics, Systems Psychodynamics, Personal and Professional Learning & Development
Leadership, Team Dynamics, Personal and Professional Development and Change, Coaching and Group Facilitation Skills
Read about executive education
Scott Fisher is Director, Market Development at EVgo, the country’s largest electric vehicle fast charging network with 800 fast charging stations in over 35 metro markets. In this role, Scott focuses on building financing partnerships with governments, utilities and automakers to expand EVgo’s ...
Klaus S. Lackner , Maurice Ewing and T. Lamar Worzel Professor of Geophysics (Earth and Environmental Engineering, Henry Krumb School of Mines) B.S., Heidelberg, 1974; M.S., 1976; Ph.D., 1978 For more biographical information, click here. Education PhD, Heidelberg University MA, Heidelberg...
EDUCATION Ph.D., Texas A&M University M.S., Fudan University B.S., Nankai University EXPERTISE/RESEARCH INTERESTS Professor Tieying Yu’s research focuses on understanding firms'' strategic decisions, and how these decisions affect interfirm rivalry and competitive advantages, especially...
Private Equity: Investing and Creating Value
The Wharton School
Advanced Human Resource Executive Program
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Leading Digital Transformations
Cass Business School
The Positive Leader: Deep Change and Organizational Transformation
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
The Manchester Leadership Development Programme
Alliance Manchester Business School
Manchester, United Kingdom
Leading Digital Transformation
Leading People and Teams
Looking for an expert?
Contact us and we'll find the best option for you.