Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
About the course
Whether you aspire to be a leader in your career, in your community, or on the board of an organization you're passionate about—develop your leadership potential through Villanova's new Women's Leadership Development Certificate.
Over the past several decades, women have made significant progress in academic achievements as well as their representation in the paid workforce. Despite this progress, women are vastly underrepresented in the top leadership positions across all industries and organizations, and a persistent earnings gap exists.
In keeping with its mission to foster women’s advancement, The Anne Welsh McNulty Institute for Women's Leadership, in partnership with the College of Professional Studies, created a leadership development certificate (non-credit) geared towards “women in the middle.” The program builds on the participants’ experiences and interests to develop their leadership skills, and form their own unique path to leadership.
Ideal for women who have five or more years of experience in either formal or informal roles, those seeking a career change, or those returning to the workforce—the Women's Leadership Development Certificate will help individuals build new skills, gain an awareness of systemic issues related to gender inequality, and explore ways to influence change.
In addition, the curriculum and program format fosters networking opportunities and cross-industry connections and collaboration for women seeking to develop their leadership skills and advance their careers.
A three-month program, the Leadership Development Certificate includes a combination of three in-person residences at The Inn at Villanova, as well as online work. The residency —a critical component of the certificate— fosters an environment that promotes deep discussion, reflection and collaboration.
Each residency focuses on a different theme:
- Exploring Your Unique Context
- Building Knowledge and Leadership Skills
- Designing Your Path
Upon successful completion of the Women’s Leadership Development Certificate, a participant will be able to:
- Advance yourself and others as leaders in personal, professional and community life
- Identify ways to increase emotional intelligence, mindfulness and to develop growth potential
- Improve competencies in systems management, innovation, organizational development, communication and interprofessional relationships
- Understand how gender and other identities impact leadership development in organizations and society
- Create a personal leadership development plan
- Leverage new communication and leadership skills to empower yourself and others to enact social change
To complete the program and earn a Certificate in Women's Leadership Development, participants must:
- Attend all three residency sessions
- Complete the online assignments and activities
- Complete and present a personal leadership development plan
Running over three months, the Leadership Development Certificate program includes a combination of three in-person residencies at The Inn at Villanova, as well as asynchronous online work. Participants will spend approximately 39 hours in residence at The Inn at Villanova over the course of the program. The three residencies will meet on a Friday and Saturday for 13 hours in total length across the two days.
The online components of the program, completed in the weeks prior to and between the residency experiences, focus on identifying individual strengths and talents, reinforcing theoretical content, and participating in peer group coaching.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.