Understanding Group and Leader
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Hyper Island.Full disclaimer.
Become a more effective group member and leader Understanding Group and Leaders (UGL) provides training in how a group develops and matures over time, what happens in the group during the course of this development and what promotes or inhibits constructive development. Within UGL, this is referred to as group dynamics.
UGL also deals with the problems and possibilities of leadership related to the development of the group’s maturity, and which style of leadership will promote both task solving and group development.
This course has been used as a basic leadership training within the Swedish armed forces for more than 20 years. In recent years it has also become popular and widespread outside the Swedish Total Defence Establishment.
What you'll learn
Learning occurs through the experience of situations, reflecting, group dynamics, and understanding your own role in them. You will learn about the following:
- Experiencing an experiential (experience based) learning model
- Increasing insight into your own personality
- Being able to identify and handle conflict
- Being able to communicate in a direct and clear way
- Being able to give and receive effective feedback
- Being able to recognize different phases of a group’s development
- Understanding that there is a need for different leadership styles
- Increasing self-confidence and self-insight
Other courses you may want to consider
Cranfield's Women as Leaders
Women as Leaders is led by Cranfield leadership experts who have worked with women’s leadership development since the early days of interest in this field.
Strategies for career success
Cranfield has 25 years of research into women’s leadership and this programme draws on this expertise. The programme directors currently work internationally with clients who want to use the latest thinking on leadership practices in their senior roles.
This programme will: help you to think positively about developing leadership practices that are best fitted to your context; help you develop leadership practices that fit with your personal values and preferences; help you work with the political landscape in which senior leadership roles are embedded. It will provide you with the knowledge and mind-set to overcome the barriers to further success and to increase your promotional opportunities.
Women as Leaders integrates leading edge research with participants’ personal experiences to provide practical learning about leadership and how to navigate your way in complex executive roles.
What you will learn
- A clearer understanding of the challenges facing women leaders when taking up senior positions
- An opportunity to step back and consider what you need to do to ensure your leadership practice is tailored to your organisation and to your personal context, including an appraisal of what is important for you in your life and career at this time
- Learning about the latest thinking in leadership and engaging in group discussions, co-counselling sessions and facilitation groups to address your challenges using practical frameworks
- A unique opportunity to differentiate gender issues and organisational issues in your context through working with a group of women leaders experiencing similar challenges – where do we as women need to change and what needs to change in organisation practices and culture for women to advance – what are our roles as senior leaders in developing the widest possible talent pool
- Access to an elite network of female professionals to work with in the future.
- Doing leadership differently as a woman; the new leadership landscape
- Your aspirations and values as a leader
- Navigating in a male dominated organisation
- Political skills and networking in organisations
- Increasing personal presence
- Creating and maintaining resilience and well-being as a female leader.
Who should attend
- Experienced women professionals
- Managers and directors who want to accelerate their careers.