About the course
Leading effectively and inclusively in today’s increasingly polarized world requires both head and heart. Building your team’s — and your — ability to adapt to unforeseen realities also requires you to hold steady during periods of intense change. This course uses an adaptive leadership framework to strengthen your ability to tackle complex problems in your professional and personal worlds. Adaptive leadership is a critical tool and skill set for those looking to drive systemic change while being accountable to their own values and goals.
Participants will engage in public learning to test the adaptive diagnostic process together. Public learning is a collaborative process where we use the class itself as a case study, paying attention to how authority and leadership are alive in the classroom, and using classroom engagement itself as a testing ground for these new leadership approaches.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Distinguish between technical problems and adaptive challenges.
- Apply an adaptive leadership diagnostic to a leadership challenge or failure.
- Understand the role of disequilibrium in mobilizing systems to change.
- Reflect on their own leadership competencies by “getting on the balcony.”
- Identify their loyalties and how it impacts their leadership and decision-making.
- This course will start with a weekend of intensive learning and then meet on Tuesdays for four consecutive weeks.
- Students will be placed in peer groups and be responsible for holding weekly one-hour peer group consultations through the duration of the course; each group will schedule their own peer group time.
- In each class, roughly two-thirds of the time will be allocated to discussing a previously assigned reading; the last third will be allocated to a group diagnosis of a student's case.
Leadership is about mobilizing people to make progress on problems they themselves face, not hiring someone to swoop in and offer temporary fixes for those problems. Using an adaptive leadership framework developed at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, I work with you to diag...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.