Who should attend
This program is designed for executives in the public sector, primarily at the EX 1-3 level (or equivalent). TPSLP is particularly appropriate for those executives who believe their career is at an inflection point and want to prepare for future challenges. Post-secondary education or equivalent professional designation is expected. Program instruction is in English, but resource materials are available also in French as much as possible.
About the course
Canada’s most successful public institutions are served by leaders that are inspired by a desire to build a better and more prosperous country. Telfer’s Public Sector Leaders Program (TPSLP) is designed to ignite your passion for leadership. You will benefit from:
- A deeper awareness of your leadership style and strengths, of the future demands on Public Service leaders and the leadership needs of your organization, workforce and partners;
- A greater sense of purpose with a committed team and stakeholders prepared to lead meaningful change; and
- A strong understanding of being a strategic and authentic leader, who aligns your work group with your organization in pursuit of broad strategic goals.
As a participant in the program you will embark on a leadership journey becoming self‐aware of your leadership capabilities, learning how to access important strategic insights and acquiring practical knowledge that you can apply both during and immediately after the program. The program design makes extensive use of group activities, discussions and peer learning groups so that there is ample time for you to reflect on, and adapt insights to your specific circumstances.
The program consists of a ½ day Orientation followed by three modules, each comprising two class days over a four‐month period. In between modules, participants will have individual assignments and sessions of with your peer learning group. Each participant will complete a 360 Assessment and have an individual debrief by a certified coach. The design is based on leading practices in executive education which underpin our many successful programs for public sector clients.
What You Will Learn
- Awareness of leadership styles and preferences and the leadership challenges facing the public service
- Strategies for gaining influence, building engagement and nurturing partnerships
- How to design and lead focused change initiatives
- Confidence as an authentic leader, expressing and acting on your leadership goals
- How to establish and communicate strategic direction, aligned with corporate goals
You will acquire new skills, tools and insight to
- be more authentic, confident and purposeful in your leadership.
- engage and motivate teams, leading purposeful change effectively.
- be more strategic and focused in your leadership fully aligned with organizational goals
Robert Orr is an Associate at the Telfer Centre for Executive Leadership. Prior to this, he was a Senior Faculty Member and Distinguished Fellow at the Canada School of Public Service, and for a few months, acted as Deputy Minister/President of the School. From 2012 to 2017, he was Assistant De...
Ingrid Richter is an Executive in Residence at the Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa and Partner, Threshold Associates. Her teaching, action research and consulting work has three major areas of focus: leadership development, facilitating complex, multi-stakeholder change proces...
Lynn Davies is an organizational effectiveness consultant with 40 years’ experience. She is a member of the faculty in the University of Ottawa’s Executive MBA and part of the Telfer Executive Programs Community of Practice, with whom she has been Academic Director for the Quality Improvement and...
Daniel Normandeau, President of ConversArt Consulting, is a fluently bilingual senior management consultant with over 30 years in the private and public sectors, featuring experience in change management, strategic planning, organizational development and learning. He holds a Masters of Public A...
From August 2007 until April 2012, Glen Bailey was the Director of Executive Programs at the Telfer School of Management at the University of Ottawa. As Director he led a rapid expansion of executive leadership programs with public and private sector clients. Areas of expertise for the Centre inc...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.