Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Public-sector executives at the federal, provincial and municipal levels who are looking for fresh perspectives on policy issues and public-sector strategy.
About the course
This 5-day program has been developed to address the key leader-manager competencies identified by the Treasury Board of Canada and provincial public service counterparts. The program provides a unique overview of frameworks and processes for applying strategic thinking and planning to the policy issues facing today's public sector executives.
No other program in Canada provides the same kind of exciting and intensive opportunity to interact with public-sector leaders from a wide variety of jurisdictions across Canada.
The program focuses on:
- The fundamentals of Strategic Thinking and Management Excellence
- Public Sector Policy, Ethics, and Accountability
- Strategic Issues in the Public Sector
- The Impact of Shifting Demographics
- Management of Risk
Benefits for you and your organization
Queen's Public Executive Program is designed to enhance the strategic thinking, policy-making and decision-making skills of public-sector managers.
- Broaden your public policy perspective by interacting with a diverse group of session leaders and public-sector executives
- Sharpen your management and leadership skills by working with a world-class faculty team
- Bring in new ideas from respected session leaders and fellow public-sector executives
- Benefit from a proven executive development process used by more than 1,400 Canadian organizations, including public-sector organizations from all levels of government and all jurisdictions in Canada
- Network with federal, provincial, and municipal public-sector managers from across Canada
- Improve performance in the most efficient way possible, at a cost much lower than that charged by consultants
- Establish an ongoing relationship with Smith School of Business and create a culture of lifelong learning within your organization
As an alumnus of this program, you will receive an invitation to the annual Public Policy Forum
The program includes the following topics
- The Fundamentals of Strategic Thinking and Management Excellence: Develop an understanding of the strategic planning and execution processes
- Public Sector Policy, Ethics, and Accountability: Manage your portfolio ethically and creating a culture of accountability
- Strategic Issues: Review many aspects of the current political landscape and their ramifications for regional, national and international public sector strategies
- The Impact of Shifting Demographics: Examine the issue of shifting demographics and how they affect your strategic plans
- Management of Risk: Learn how to create strategies that maximize impact and minimize risk
- Media and Government: Understand the power of the media and learn how to manage the message
Thomas Axworthy assumed his current position as the President and CEO of the Walter and Duncan Gordon Foundation in 2009. In addition to his work with the Gordon Foundation, Tom has been Executive Director of the CRB Foundation in Montreal and the Historica Foundation in Toronto. As well, he is a...
An authority on social and economic policy issues, Keith Banting is the author of Poverty, Politics and Policy and The Welfare State and Canadian Federalism. He is an editor and co-author of another dozen books dealing with public policy, including most recently Federalism and Health Policy: A Co...
Chantal Hébert is a national affairs columnist with The Toronto Star and a guest columnist for Le Devoir. She is also a regular contributor to the weekly “At Issue” panel on the CBC’s National News. Ms. Hébert served as parliamentary bureau chief for La Presse and Le Devoir in Ottawa, and as a po...
Nik Nanos is a Canadian public opinion pollster and an expert on image research and crisis communications management. In 1987 Nanos founded SES Research while he was a student at Queen's University. The company is now known as Nanos Research, a market and public opinion research firm with clients...
A former Canadian diplomat, Colin Robertson is a Senior Strategic Advisor for McKenna, Long and Aldridge LLP and working with the Canadian Council of Chief Executives. He is Vice President and Fellow at the Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute, an Executive Fellow at the University of C...
Hugh Segal joined the Canadian Senate in 2005, after four decades of public service which included Chief of Staff to the Prime Minister of Canada, Associate Cabinet Secretary (Ontario) for Federal-Provincial Affairs and Policies and Priorities, Legislative Assistant to the Leader of the Oppositio...
Janice Gross Stein is the Belzberg Professor of Conflict Management in the Department of Political Science and was the founding Director of the Munk School of Global Affairs at the University of Toronto (serving from 1998 to the end of 2014). She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and a m...
William (Bill) Richard is a former senior government executive (Brigadier General) in National Defence with extensive experience in strategic planning, leadership, information technology, program management, policy, and international affairs. He is an Adjunct Professor at Queen’s University in th...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.