Public Executive Program
This 5-day program has been developed to address the key leader-manager competencies identified by the Treasury Board of Canada and provincial public service counterparts. The program provides a unique overview of frameworks and processes for applying strategic thinking and planning to the policy issues facing today's public sector executives.
No other program in Canada provides the same kind of exciting and intensive opportunity to interact with public-sector leaders from a wide variety of jurisdictions across Canada.
The program focuses on:
- The fundamentals of Strategic Thinking and Management Excellence
- Public Sector Policy, Ethics, and Accountability
- Strategic Issues in the Public Sector
- The Impact of Shifting Demographics
- Management of Risk
Benefits for you and your organization
Queen's Public Executive Program is designed to enhance the strategic thinking, policy-making and decision-making skills of public-sector managers.
- Broaden your public policy perspective by interacting with a diverse group of session leaders and public-sector executives
- Sharpen your management and leadership skills by working with a world-class faculty team
- Bring in new ideas from respected session leaders and fellow public-sector executives
- Benefit from a proven executive development process used by more than 1,400 Canadian organizations, including public-sector organizations from all levels of government and all jurisdictions in Canada
- Network with federal, provincial, and municipal public-sector managers from across Canada
- Improve performance in the most efficient way possible, at a cost much lower than that charged by consultants
- Establish an ongoing relationship with Smith School of Business and create a culture of lifelong learning within your organization
As an alumnus of this program, you will receive an invitation to the annual Public Policy Forum
The program includes the following topics
- The Fundamentals of Strategic Thinking and Management Excellence: Develop an understanding of the strategic planning and execution processes
- Public Sector Policy, Ethics, and Accountability: Manage your portfolio ethically and creating a culture of accountability
- Strategic Issues: Review many aspects of the current political landscape and their ramifications for regional, national and international public sector strategies
- The Impact of Shifting Demographics: Examine the issue of shifting demographics and how they affect your strategic plans
- Management of Risk: Learn how to create strategies that maximize impact and minimize risk
- Media and Government: Understand the power of the media and learn how to manage the message
Who should attend
Public-sector executives at the federal, provincial and municipal levels who are looking for fresh perspectives on policy issues and public-sector strategy.