Sulzberger Executive Leadership Program
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Columbia Journalism School.Full disclaimer.
The core of this program focuses on the projects that fellows identify at their news enterprises. We call these projects "challenges." Rather than rely on case studies and standard approaches, the Sulzberger program focuses on what is critical to the future success of the news organization and guides the fellows on how to achieve success. Fellows must articulate the goals they seek and hold themselves accountable to delivering those results during the course of the fellowship year. A fellow’s challenge is not separate from his or her daily work; rather it is a project that is essential to the sustainability and profitability of the organization.
- The challenge should cover a project that is key to the organization's sustainability in the market.
- The challenge should be something it would take 10 to 20 months to accomplish successfully.
- The challenge must be "ripe" so that it makes sense to tackle it during the year the fellow is participating in the Punch Sulzberger Executive Leadership Program.
- There is a performance expectation with each challenge. Fellows must set goals that answer the question: "What does success looks like?"
- The challenge needs to involve people of the enterprise beyond the Fellow. Everyone involved should feel at risk when they commit to take on the challenge and succeed at it.
- The challenge should not be "business as usual" – success at tackling the challenge should demand new abilities and ways of working.
What Sets Us Apart
The Challenge‐Centric View and the Performance‐Driven Approach
By building the entire program around real challenges facing the fellows' respective news enterprises, we seek to help fellows and their enterprises achieve success today rather than offer theory about the future.
** Individualized Coaching** A personal coach selected from top management executives and consultants works with each Fellow to implement the initiative. Coaches check in weekly to discuss progress, setbacks, clarify the goal and determine next steps to achieve success and lead to change.
Tailored Content The core content of this program is made up of the most pressing challenges facing news organizations. This can vary according to the organization's needs and financial outlook. There is no one model for success. It all depends on what you want to achieve.
Tangible Result Participants create measurable outcomes throughout the year, developed with their coaches on a task‐by‐task to reach completion and achieve project success. Throughout your Fellowship year, our staff will help you learn to identify stakeholders and enlist their support, ensuring that your results will stick.
Long-term Success The leadership and management skills learned in the Punch Sulzberger Executive Leadership Program can be used over and over within the news enterprise so success is replicable.