Strategy & Strategic Planning
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Oxford Management Centre.Full disclaimer.
All managers need to understand and deal with the major changes that are taking place in markets, technologies, competition and risk – plus the over-arching influence of globalisation. These changes are affecting organisations of all types and sizes.
Strategy and strategic planning are the activities that enable managers to create the successful organisation of the future. To achieve this a strategic planning team must understand how to use all the resources available to the organisation in such a way as to (a) cope with continuous development of the business environment, (b) secure competitive performance through effective analysis and planning, (c) prioritise change, and (d) implement the activities that form the strategic plan. All this demonstrates why an understanding of business strategy is vital to all managers in every sector of business.
This seminar will highlight:
- Learning how to apply leading-edge thinking in strategic analysis/planning
- Evaluating the choices faced by any organisation in developing the future
- Producing a strategic plan that serves as a road map for action
- Understanding best practice in implementing strategic programmes and projects
- Designing an effective linkage between strategic management and operational management
At the end of this seminar you will learn to:
- Leverage the value of strategy and strategic planning
- Design a strategic planning process for your organisation
- Analyse options and make robust choices in setting goals and objectives
- Take full advantage of the opportunities of globalisation
- Lead effective change within your part of your organisation
The training process is based on a carefully planned combination of highly focused tutor input, using a balanced set of state-of-the-art learning mechanisms. The emphasis will be on studying real organisations making major strategic decisions. Above all, the principles and approaches to strategy and strategic management will be illustrated by reference to real-life organisations in which the course leader has been personally involved. We will use the following training methods.
- Presentations by the course leader, including case examples
- Group work on case studies based on analysis, interaction and discussion
- Presentations by subject experts on aspects of strategy, strategic planning and organisational change.
- Highly focused problem-solving exercises, including “outside the box” thinking
- Decision analysis in different strategic and competitive conditions
In sending delegates to this seminar the organisation will gain the following benefits.
- Better decision-making and time/resource allocation – leading to improved organisational performance
- Introduction of strategic thinking into all levels of the organisation
- Top management having more confidence in the decisions of its staff
- An improved approach to planning at strategic and operational levels
- Sharply focused views on on the extent and direction of change required for success
- More effective programme and project implementation by managers
In attending this course delegates will acquire the following skills and competencies.
- Improved career flexibility and prospects
- Accelerated thinking speed and problem resolution for all difficult decisions
- Detailed understanding of the strategic impact of individual specialisms
- Improved leadership and teamworking capabilities
- Innovative approaches in ensuring the most effective impact of individual specialisations
- Understanding of best practice in strategic planning and how to apply this
Day1 - Strategic thinking and External Analysis
- Definitions of strategy and strategic planning?
- Why are strategy and strategic planning important?
- Understanding the main frameworks for strategic analysis
- Strategic planning in public sector organisations
- External analysis – understanding and analysing business attractiveness
- Analysing customers and benchmarking your own strategic position
- How attractive is the game that we have chosen to play?
Day2 - Internal analysis and fusion into strategic choice
- The interface and balance of external and internal analysis
- Internal analysis: financial
- Internal analysis; non-financial
- The concept and practicalities of the “balanced scorecard”
- Diagnosing and analysing strategic problems and opportunities
- Fusion of analysis into strategic choices – SWOT and the strategy matrix
- How well are we playing the game that we have chosen to play?
Day3 - Strategic plans and the relevance of alliances and joint ventures
- Review of the tools used so far
- The content of a strategy: avoiding “paralysis by analysis”
- Putting a strategic plan together – the 5-page framework
- A real-life example of a business strategy/strategic plan
- Strategies for alliances and joint ventures
- Management of alliances and joint ventures
- Examples of best practice in alliances and joint ventures
Day4 - Global strategy, teambuilding and the management of internal communication
- The essence of globalisation and global strategy
- Globalisation – the strategic dimension
- Globalisation – the organisational dimension
- Globalisation – the human dimension
- How to build and manage a strategic planning team
- Communicating strategy through the organisation
- Gaining your team’s commitment and buy-in to the strategy
Day5 - Strategic implementation and getting the value out of strategy
- Alignment of strategy, culture, structure and people
- Effective execution – converting strategic analysis and planning into action
- Aligning and linking strategy with operational objectives
- Implementation – getting practical things done
- Creating tomorrow’s organisation out of today’s organisation
- Strategic planning at a personal level
- Overview – the complete strategy process
- Summary and conclusions – the corporate and individual value of strategic planning
Who should attend
This seminar is designed for experienced professionals from any industry and any specialisation who wish to gain a broader appreciation of the dynamics of business development and develop their personal roles in creating the future for their organisation. In the past our delegates have included the following.
- Specialists in marketing and business development
- Experienced managers/leaders in finance and accounting
- Specialists in production and operations management
- Scientists in research and development
- Logistics and distribution specialists