Certificate in Strategic Management in the Oil and Gas Business
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Oxford Management Centre.Full disclaimer.
This Training seminar will address the critical management issues in oil and gas business that will affect future profitability and growth within a rapidly changing global energy market. It will enable managers in this business to achieve and sustain superior personal and team performance.
The structure of the oil and gas industries is going through a period of significant change. The outlook for oil and gas prices is problematic and subject to pressures from alternative energy sources. At the same time the growth in global demand is coming from newly industrializing markets rather than the more mature economic zones. This has major implications for upstream and downstream operations and for the type and level of investment that will be required over the medium term. These developments also have a direct impact on the closely linked petrochemical business. In summary, the oil and gas business will require a very different strategic approach in the future within a fundamentally changed economic, market and business environment. This course aims to enable you to design and manage the new approach.
This training seminar will highlight:
- The changing structure and dynamics of the global oil and gas business
- Creating and implementing a robust business strategy
- Aligning and linking strategic and operational management
- How to implement strategic plans effectively
- Achieving strategic change in your organisation
At the end of this training seminar, you will learn to:
- Analyse where the best opportunities will be found in the future
- Develop a highly focused strategy to take the best opportunities
- Concentrate resources and actions to sustain competitiveness
- Manage the key processes of strategic change
- Create and manage an effective team to take the new strategy forward
The training seminar leader will deploy a full range of dynamic and interactive training methods. This will comprise a carefully balanced programme of conventional teaching, supported by real examples and case experience of individual issues. This will enhance learning through practical activities so participants can gain knowledge and ideas to develop their part of the business. In addition, delegates will be given the chance to work in groups on case studies to develop skills in the key aspects of this subject. Above all the training seminar leader will illustrate the main learning points with examples of real-life decisions in oil and gas business in which he has been personally involved.
In sending delegates to this training seminar the organisation will gain the following benefits.
- Better resource allocation – leading to improved organisational performance
- Introduction of strategic thinking into all levels of the organisation
- Top management having more confidence in the decisions of its staff
- An improved approach to decisions at strategic and operational levels
- Sharply focused views on the extent and direction of change required for success
- More effective programme and project implementation by managers
In attending this training seminar delegates will acquire the following skills and competencies.
- Improved career flexibility and prospects
- Accelerated thinking speed and problem resolution
- Detailed understanding of the strategic impact of individual specialisms
- Improved leadership and teamworking capabilities
- Innovative approaches in ensuring the most effective impact of individual specialisms
- Understanding of best practice in strategic planning and how to apply it
The Current and Future Dynamics of the Global Oil and Gas Business
- Structural change in supply and demand in the global oil and gas business
- The future of oil and gas compared with other major energy sources
- Developments in upstream activities and their strategic impact
- Developments in downstream activities and their strategic impact
- Forecasting the future major trends in oil and gas
- The changing balance of OPEC and non-OPEC activities
Creating and Applying a Robust Business Strategy
- Leading-edge thinking in business strategy
- The process and content of contemporary strategic analysis
- How to create an effective strategic plan
- Focus and concentration of resources to sustain advantage
- Financial and non-financial performance management
- The challenge of effective management of implementation
Aligning and Linking Strategic and Operational Management
- The principle of strategic alignment and its significance
- Programmes, projects and policies – cohesion and priorities
- Aligning corporate resources with objectives and targets
- Aligning the organizational structure with the strategic plan
- Designing an information system to facilitate effective control
- Coordinating strategic and operational management
How to Implement Strategic Plans Effectively
- Structuring and managing the strategic planning team
- Setting strategic and operational goals and targets
- Coping with variance and divergence from plan
- Strategic and operational reviews and consequent decisions
- Resource budgeting and internal/external relationships
- Identifying and planning for change in the oil and gas business
Achieving Strategic Change in the Oil and Gas Business
- What are the main factors affecting profitable growth in oil and gas business?
- Where are the best opportunities in the changing global oil and gas market?
- What are the investment priorities to support the process of change?
- The strategic manager as coach and mentor for team members
- Gaining buy-in and commitment amongst the various stakeholders
- Deciding your top priorities after completing this training course
Who should attend
This training seminar is designed for experienced professionals in the oil and gas industry who wish (i) to gain a broader appreciation of the dynamics of strategic management and (ii) to develop their personal contribution in creating the future for their organisation. In the past our delegates have included the following.
- Specialists in marketing and business development
- Managers/leaders in finance and accounting
- Specialists in upstream and downstream operations management
- Scientists in research and development
- Human resource and organization development managers