Strategic Thinking: Driving Long-Term Success
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Brookings Institution.Full disclaimer.
Think strategically before you develop your strategic plan to pinpoint organizational challenges and opportunities. Acquire a strategic-thinking framework that informs your agency’s investments in people and processes as well as the trade-offs you make because of limited resources. And determine the steps involved in strategy implementation.
“I’ve spent 34 years in DOD, many of them working on strategy. The course presented different ways to address short-term issues and achieve long-term impact.” – Class participant
OPM Competency: Strategic Thinking
MSL Credit Hours: 1
- Define strategic thinking and how it applies to government agencies
- Identify and overcome common pitfalls in strategic thinking and implementation
- Learn the eight elements of strategic thinking and apply these elements to your agency challenges and opportunities
Politics and Policymaking
How can you predict changes in government policies, and what strategies can you employ to leverage these changes? Dive into the policymaking process. Acquire new thinking on policy formulation in the legislative and executive branches of government. And learn how to analyze political trends so you can anticipate and effectively engage in policy debates.
“I now understand the process involved in changing policy. I’m using this information to solve problems for some of our agency’s stakeholders.” – Class participant
OPM Competency: Political Savvy
MSL Credit Hours: 1
- Assess the various drivers of change in the political environment
- Adopt a framework that increases your impact in policymaking processes
- Engage in policy networks to more effectively respond to changes in the political environment