- Make a habit of thinking strategically
- Evaluate how internal and external forces might affect your strategic moves
- Identify opportunities to improve your top and bottom line
- Design a strategic roadmap and 60-day action plan for your business
Become a strategic thinker with this personalized online program
As an executive taking on greater leadership responsibilities, you need to learn how to think more strategically and develop an effective strategy for your unit or organization.
Strategic Thinking gives you tools to undertake a thorough strategic diagnosis. You analyze capabilities, strengths, weaknesses and opportunities, and identify capability and resource gaps in your own business context that could impact your strategy's implementation.
By developing your ability to judge risk and value-creating potential, you will think more clearly about future challenges, developing new models and innovating to improve performance.
You'll walk away with a strategic roadmap and action plan which directs your business toward growth opportunities.
Strategic Thinking - your learning journey
This online course is 8 weeks long. It's long enough for you to apply to your own working context what you learn and to build good strategic thinking habits. Over the 8 weeks of courses, here's what you will learn:
Unit 1: Introduction to the program, platform, and participants
- Learn how to navigate the program platform as well as how the three main program themes – diagnostics, alternatives and choice – combine to expand your thinking and build your strategic thinking capabilities.
Unit 2: Diagnostics - strengths & weaknesses
- Build stronger links with other participants and a deeper understanding of the challenges facing mature markets threatened by technological change.
- Enhance your strategic thinking by incorporating new perspectives.
Unit 3: Diagnostics - opportunities & threats
- Develop an external strategic analysis of your business area, and use two frameworks to think more deeply about the way in which threats can be opportunities, and opportunities can also be threats.
Unit 4: Alternatives - performance moves
- Progress to segment two by learning how to assess alternatives to improve your organization’s performance, and discover that strategic moves can occur in any order, depending on internal and external forces.
Unit 5: Alternatives - outpacing business models
- Discover how to understand your competitive position and outpace your competitors or, for non-profits, how to deliver better value.
- Examine how different moves can assist incumbents and new entrants.
Unit 6: Alternatives - strategic innovation domains
- Advance your ability to choose between relevant strategic experiments.
- Use three company examples to see how strategic innovation in value delivery and value proposition can be leveraged to support outpacing.
Unit 7: Choice - capability & resource gaps
- Undertake the final segment, strategic choice, by learning how to conduct a gap analysis of your organizational capabilities and resources, then look at how to close the gaps.
Unit 8: Choice - smart focus
- Focus on how to apply concepts and frameworks holistically to determine strategic focus.
- To identify whether initiatives are worth pursuing, test their potential to create value and the risks associated with executing them.
Your Professional Learning Coach
How we are helping you
You will have a dedicated professional learning coach, making sure you receive a highly individualized learning experience.
Your designated professional learning coach accompanies you through your 8-week learning journey on this Strategic Thinking online course. They provide support and feedback as you apply your learning straight away in the workplace, where it has an immediate impact.
Their input helps you translate your learning to your particular context. By spreading this feedback regularly throughout the program, you'll be sure to embed your ongoing learning directly in your daily work.
Your professional learning coach interacts with you via video, in writing and over the phone. You have calls, spread across the 8-weeks, at intervals that consolidate your learning.
Your learning coach helps you:
- Define your learning objectives
- Review your progress on a weekly basis
- Overcome your challenges
- Translate what you learn to your own context
Who should attend
This program is designed for executives who are taking over increasingly significant strategic responsibilities within their organization and who are grappling with the challenges of thinking strategically.