Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This course is intended for mechanical engineers, design engineers, hydraulics engineers, plant engineers, maintenance engineers, material engineers, machinery engineers, superintendents, supervisors, senior design draftsmen, draftsmen, foremen & technicians.
About the course
In this course, participants will gain a strong technical and practical understanding of mechanical seals through the exploration of design features and implications of many sealing systems in today’s application. Participants will also be taught how to seek out critical details from vendors to understand and appreciate the limitations of the respective product.
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the fundamentals of seal selection
- Understand environmental considerations related to seals
- Troubleshoot seals
- Maximize mechanical seal life
- Classify various seals, including special seal types (dry gas seals)
- Explain considerations related to the materials used in seal construction
## Course Outline
- Stuffing Box Characteristics, Configurations, Components.
- Sealing Action of Packing,
- Controlling Box Pressures
- Types of Packing and Selection
- Distribution of Sealing Load
- Stuffing Box Maintenance
- Operating Principles and Fundamentals, Seal Design, Nomenclature
- Seal Balance
- Mechanical Seal Configurations, Double Mechanical Seals
- Fluid Characteristics and Seal Applications
- Auxiliary Mechanical Seal Systems, Flush Fluid, Temperature Control, Cleaning Devices, Barrier Fluid Systems.
- Materials of Construction.
- Mechanical Seal Troubleshooting, Failure Modes and Failure Analysis, Bellows Symptoms.
- The Effect of Vibrations on Mechanical Seal Performance, Sources of Vibrations
- Mechanical Seal Arrangements
- Mechanical Seal Selection
- Installation and Reliable Seal Operation
- Safety Features, Seal-less Pumps
- Seals Vs Packing
- Balancing requirements Inside and Out
- Inside Seal Balancing
- Outside Seal Balancing
- Double Seals
- Lip Seals
- Sealing Liquid
- Flushing and Flow rates
- Circulating Ring Seal for Seal Cooling
- Thermal Aspects of mechanical seals
- Case studies and Group Exercises
- Group discussions
- Course Summary
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.