Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
This course is valuable for Plant operations, maintenance personnel, plant engineering managers and supervisors working in power, chemical, oil and gas, petrochemical and other industries. Those who did not have previous formal training will find this course very useful in improving their knowledge and confidence in pumps & compressors operation and maintenance. Those with previous pumps & compressors training may find it a good refresher and may learn some important information not covered in their earlier training.
About the course
Pumps and compressors find extensive use in petrochemical process plants, water circulation systems, A/C and heating systems, and many other applications. Understanding of how to operate the pumps & Compressors correctly as well as knowing the appropriate maintenance and troubleshooting methods are vital for trouble free plant operation.
This course will offer the opportunity to learn more about pumps and compressors, their construction, operation, performance curves, testing, and control, operations and maintenance and troubleshooting. Requirements of related Codes and Standards will also be addressed.
During the course participant’s discussion, comments, bringing up their own problems are welcomed and encouraged.
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Enumerate the different types of pumps & compressors and the range of their applications
- Understand the limits of pumps & compressors and compressors operation
- Read and interpret the performance curves of pumps & compressors
- Provide overview of testing standards and codes
- Understand operation, maintenance & troubleshooting aspects including the start-up, priming, shut down
- Recognize preventive and predictive maintenance of pumps & compressors
- Monitor vibration levels and their measurements
- Determine the significance of bearing housing temperatures etc.
- Understand principles of condition based monitoring
Classification, Types of Pumps & Compressors
- Operating Characteristics
- Priming, Cavitation
- NPSH, NPSH Margin
- Power Requirement For Pumping
Pump Performance Curves
- Head – Capacity Curve [H – Q]
- Power – Capacity Curve [P – Q]
- Efficiency – Capacity Curve [? – Q]
- Specific Speeds
- Operating Point Of Centrifugal Pump
Compressor Working Principles, Types, Operational Aspects
- Classification, Types Of Compressors
- Operational Principles And Constructional Features
- Compressor Operation
- Performance Characteristics Curves
- Minimum And Maximum Flow, Constraints
- Surge, Significance And Control
- Compressor Selection And Specification, Criteria For Drive Rating Selection
- Performance Testing
- Standards And Acceptance Criteria For Performance Testing
Operation & Troubleshooting
- Start-Up, Priming, Shut Down
- Vibration Levels and Their Measurements.
- Bearing Housing Temperatures
- Accessories [Shaft Seal, Bearing]
Trouble Shooting [Symptoms, Causes, Remedial Measures)
- The Functions of A Bearing In Rotating Machines.
- Bearing And Shaft Alignment
- How to Correct For Misalignment.
- Tools For Servicing
Preventive and Predictive Maintenance
- Maintenance By Plan Vs. Maintenance By Default
- Equipment Reliability And Availability
- Building A Maintenance Management Plan
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.