Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program is directed towards Supervisors, Team Leaders and Managers in Maintenance, Engineering and Production. It is suitable for who expects to become involved at any stage in project applications and applicable maintenance technologies. The seminar will also benefit anyone those wishes to update themselves on pump and compressor technology, judge the suitability of different types of pumps and compressors for their needs, and learn how to operate and maintain them for the benefit of their organizations.
About the course
At the end of this course participants will have:
- Have an understanding of the different types of Compressors, Pumps, Motors, &Variable Speed Drives.
- Be able to operate Compressors, Pumps, Motors, &Variable Speed Drives as close as possible to the design efficiency.
- Will be able to monitor Compressors, Pumps, Motors, &Variable Speed Drives' efficiency, availability and reliability.
- Have learnt about selection, operation and maintenance strategies.
- Be able to troubleshoot Compressors, Pumps, Motors, &Variable Speed Drives' problems.
- Compressor types: positive displacement (reciprocating and rotary), and dynamic (centrifugal and rotary), compressor operation, gas laws
- Compressor performance measurement, inlet conditions, compressor performance, energy available for recovery
- Positive displacement compressors, reciprocating compressors, reciprocating compressors, diaphragm compressors.
- Rotary compressors, rotary screw compressor, lobe type air compressor, sliding vane compressors, liquid ring compressors
- Dynamic compressors, centrifugal compressors, axial compressors
- Air receivers, compressor control, compressor unloading system
- Intercoolers and after-coolers, filters and air intake screens
Centrifugal & Axial Compressors
- Principle of operation of centrifugal and axial flow compressors, characteristics of centrifugal and axial flow compressor
- Surging, choking, bleed valves, variable stator vanes, inlet guide vanes
Compressor Systems Calculations
- Affinity Laws for centrifugal compressors
- Calculations of air leaks from compressed-air systems, annual cost of air leakage
- Centrifugal compressor power requirement
- Compressor selection, calculations of air system requirements
- Characteristics of reciprocating compressors and blowers
- Selection of air distribution system, water cooling requirements for compressors
- Sizing of compressor system components, sizing of air receiver
- Calculations of receiver pump-up time
- Pump definition, pump categories: dynamic and displacement reciprocating & rotary
- Centrifugal pumps: theory of operation of a centrifugal pump, casings and diffusers, radial thrust, hydrostatic pressure tests
- Impeller, axial thrust, axial thrust in multistage pumps, hydraulic balancing devices, balancing drums, balancing disks
- Centrifugal pumps general performance characteristics, cavitations, net positive suction head and requirements
Bearings & Lubrication
- Types of bearings, ball and roller bearings, stresses during rolling contacts
- Statistical nature of bearing life, materials and finish, sizes of bearings, types of rolling bearings, thrust
- Used oil Analysis: proper lube oil sampling technique, test description and significance, visual and sensory inspections, chemical and physical tests, water content, viscosity, emission spectrographic analysis, infrared analysis, total base number (TBN), total acid number (TAN), particle count, summary
Positive Displacement Pumps
- Reciprocating pumps, piston pumps, plunger pumps, rotary pumps, screw pumps, lobe pump
- Cam pumps, vane pumps, metering pumps
- Engineering of system requirements, fluid type, system head curves, alternate modes of operation, margins, wear, future system changes
- Selection of pump and driver, pump characteristics, code requirements, fluid characteristics, pump materials, driver type
- Pump specification, specification types, data sheet, codes and standards, bidding documents, technical specification, commercial terms, special considerations, performance testing, pump drivers
- Special control requirements, drawing and data requirements form, quality assurance and quality control, bidding and negotiation
- Public and private sector, bid list, evaluation of bids, cost, efficiency, economic life, spare parts, guarantee/warranty, simple bid evaluation
- Basic components, temperature control, seal lubrication/leakage, typical single inside pusher seal
- Maintenance recommended on centrifugal pumps, recommended pump maintenance
Vibration Analysis & Predictive Maintenance
- Vibration instrumentation, velocity transducer, acceleration transducer, transducer selection, time domain, frequency domain, machinery example, vibration analysis
- Vibration causes, forcing frequency causes, unbalance, misalignment, mechanical looseness, bearing defects, gear defects, oil whirl, blade or vane problems, electric motor defects, uneven loading, drive-shaft torsion
## Course Methodology
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.