Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Executives preparing for critical leadership scenarios, either due to the daily risks of company operations or a need to change organizational behavior with regard to mistakes. Thus, we will look for ways to turn insights from these events into a vital and effective learning culture.
About the course
We all know examples of executives leading organizations or teams into disaster, despite the fact that all involved had strong credentials and considerable experience. Regardless of the hierarchical levels of the persons involved, such scenarios should be seen as indicators that some fundamental assumptions about a system, operation, or task were wrong.
However, in most organizations, it is rare that the root causes of errors or crises are ever thoroughly examined. An exception is the aviation industry, whose members are prepared to confront mistakes in order to achieve operational excellence and manage life-threatening situations. Leadership under Pressure draws on this experience to illustrate ways of proactively managing potentially critical situations.
- Developing strategies for mastering critical incidents
- Exploring methods for dealing with errors in organizations
- Learning how to establish a system of psychological safety
- Gaining insights into the crisis planning of flight crews
- Applying your learnings alongside Lufthansa pilots in complex simulators
- Creating an organizational learning culture
- Understanding the prerequisites of psychological safety
- Overcoming potential obstacles
- Driving decision-making processes in complex situations
- Maintaining control in dynamic and fluid situations
- Managing crisis communication
Day 1 – Managing dynamics of pressure situations
- Principles of dealing with high-pressure situations
- Simulation and debrief
Day 2 – Practicing crisis management
- Decision making in high-stress situations
- Practicing crisis management in a flight simulator
Day 3 – Managing external pressure situations
- Managing external pressure situations
- Developing a crisis narrative
- Interacting with media
Education 1997 PhD in Communication Westfalische Wilhelms-University Current appointments 2016 - Now Deputy Dean (Programmes) Lee Kong Chian School of Business, Singapore Management University 2016 - Now Area Coordinator of Corporate Communication Lee Kong Chian School of Business, Sing...
Jan Hagen is an associate professor at ESMT. Jan’s research and teaching focus is on leadership. He is particularly interested to understand how teams and organizations deal with errors. Apart from journal articles he published the book Confronting Mistakes – Lessons from the Aviation Industry wh...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.