Who should attend
The course in Leadership Essentials is designed for emerging leaders or those new to a leadership position who are:
- Junior to mid-level managers
- Recently promoted to a supervisory role
- Aspiring supervisors or those preparing to take on a supervisory role for the first time
- Supervisors with an established knowledge of management principles who are looking to brush up on their leadership skills
About the course
“Manager” may be a title that denotes a position of leadership, but “leadership” is a skill set, a knowledge base and a mindset that transcends job titles. Moving into that official leadership role for the first time can be exhilarating, gratifying and intimidating all at once. How do you act as a leader? Where do you start? Start with the basics to build up the essential skills and knowledge you need as a leader.
Leadership Essentials covers a wide range of fundamental concepts, methods and practices designed to help mold leaders responsible for translating the vision, mission, and objectives to an organization’s first-level or departmental employees. With four primary focus areas, the course will provide you with the strategies and techniques for effective leadership in a supervisory role, self- and team-discovery through the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Assessment, successfully leading people and processes and using leadership behavior to overcome challenges.
What You’ll Learn
Leadership in the Supervisory Role
- Implement an employee performance review process that incorporates stated expectations, goal setting, ongoing feedback and formal review
- Communicate employee appraisal results and indicate opportunities for performance improvement
- Develop your own style and methods for leadership by exploring various practices of leadership, management and supervision
- Adapt to and implement the latest theories and trends in leadership today
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Assessment
- Gain a historically and psychologically grounded understanding of the (MBTI) Assessment
- Discover your MBTI personality type and how this informs your attitude, actions and decision-making processes
- Understand and lead the diverse personalities in your team through effective coaching
- Better relate and respond to your own supervisor’s personality type, as well as the different personalities across the levels of your organization
Leading People and Processes
- Assign and delegate tasks, projects and responsibilities to improve efficiency and empower team members
- Establish managerial control processes by creating standards, measuring performance and correcting issues
- Adopt methods for team and individual discipline using authority, constructive feedback and problem examination
- Build a high-performing team by leading them in different ways through understanding the phases of forming, storming, norming, performing and transforming
Leadership Behaviors that Overcome Challenges
- Learn and apply effective conflict resolution techniques and tactics
- Respond to employee complaints and grievances with discernment, fairness and effective decision making
- Understand various labor laws and maintain compliance with labor unions
- Improve team efficiency and effectiveness using methods of time management, prioritization and scheduling
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.