Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Managers who have recently been appointed to leadership positions or high potentials in preparation of their first significant leadership roles. The ELP is designed to prepare participants with diverse professional and personal backgrounds.
About the course
Talents assigned to their first leadership roles need to prove themselves to their superiors, peers, and collaborators. Succeeding requires a profound change in both skills and mindset: from a talent who delivers value individually to a leader who creates value through others. The Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) is designed to enable participants to manage this critical transition and realize their full leadership potential.
In the first module, participants will develop insights and tools to help them deal with the multifaceted contexts in which leadership plays out while learning how effective leadership requires actively managing upwards, downwards, and laterally. In the second module, participants will reflect on the responsibilities they have accepted as future leaders. Through intense interactions with faculty, peers, and professional actors, they will explore the ethical and psychological foundations of leadership and work on preparing a foundation for their own individual path to leadership.
- Acquire knowledge, mindset, and tools needed to successfully transition into a leadership role
- Gain awareness of the challenges and responsibilities that come with leadership
- Learn how to create value for yourself and your organization by fostering productive working relationships with your collaborators, peers, and superiors
- Benefit from our Alumni Network and post-program support which will provide you with a source of state-of-the-art business knowledge and a thriving global community of emerging leaders.
Module 1: The context of leadership
- Understand the company behind the organization chart
- Build an effective network
- Create value through downward, upward, and lateral management
- Motivate self and others
- Build a high-performance team culture
Module 2: Personal leadership skills
- Ethical and psychological foundations of leadership
- Leadership in action
- Communicate as a leader
- Leadership transitions and selfdevelopment
Nora studied management, with focus on organization. She completed her PhD on group dynamics at HEC School of Management and during her doctoral studies she was visiting fellow at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and at RMIT (Melbourne). She is a graduate of the Columbia Coach...
Gianluca is an associate professor (with tenure) of organizational behavior who joined ESMT Berlin in 2016. Previously he was an associate professor of organization and management at the University of Lugano and an assistant professor at Bocconi University. He holds a PhD in Social and Behavioral...
Ulf Schäfer is a program director at ESMT Berlin. He studied Philosophy, Mathematics, Logic and Theory of Science in Bonn, Knoxville, and Berkeley as well as Business Administration in Rotterdam and London (Canada). Ulf was a lecturer of Philosophy at Bonn University, a strategy consultant with A...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.