Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- All Managers who are concerned with enhancing their change management skills
- Organisation Development practitioners who want to develop deeper insight into the underlying models and frameworks of development
- Those involved in strategy development who want to augment their analytical skills with behavioural insight to assist in implementing strategy
- HR professionals who want to extend and develop their contribution beyond their functional role
About the course
The pressure for change in organisations increases daily. In the private sector, competitive challenges, technological change, enhanced customer expectations and financial pressures combine to put a premium on firms’ abilities to learn and adapt. In the public sector, similar challenges coupled with ambiguous performance criteria place enormous pressure on organisations to react appropriately.
Designed to equip managers with the knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to lead organisational change, this diploma is highly participative to ensure that the collective experience of the entire class group is harnessed.
Module 1: Introduction to Change, Transformation and Organisation Development
- Examine the drivers and enablers of change;
- Evaluate various approaches to leading change;
- Understand why change and transformation efforts often fail;
- Explore participant experiences to identify best practices in change management;
- Develop skills to be an effective change agent at work.
Module 2: Diagnostic Models and Organisational Analysis
- Enhance the understanding of the contracting process for internal and external consultants;
- Deepen understanding of analytical frameworks to evaluate organisations;
- Become familiar with approaches to diagnosis, including action research and appreciative inquiry;
- Enhance skills at designing data collection approaches including interviewing, survey research and observation;
- Enhance insight into feedback of data as an intervention in organisations.
Module 3: Individual Level Interventions
- Enhance participants’ self-awareness as change leaders;
- Develop an awareness of psychometric assessments and evaluate their effectiveness; • Identify, understand and improve sources of power and influence;
- Explore multiple tactics for organisational influence;
- Reflect on the participants’ influencing style and how to influence others.
Module 4: Group and Team Development Interventions
- Examine the role of teams and groups and their importance in the transformation and renewal process;
- Understand the characteristics of high performing teams and group dynamics that impact performance;
- Understand the role of the leader in developing and coaching teams;
- Articulate future role with teams as a change agent in organisations.
Module 5: Organisational Culture and Major Systems Interventions
- Develop a framework for extraordinary change leadership;
- Understand how extraordinary leaders develop winning strategies for their domains and increase their chances of success when faced with unexpected crises;
- Examine leadership strategies for creating effective, sustained organisational change;
- Manage tensions between strategic planning and execution in a real-time environment;
- Explore the connection between intended, emergent and realised strategy in successful change efforts.
Module 6: Leading Change & Evaluation
- Understand the challenges of how to evaluate the effectiveness of change programmes;
- Develop the tasks and skills of the change agent;
- Examine the political skills and dynamics;
- Explore the core principles that contributed to the development of a learning organisation;
- Develop a personalised action plan to apply the learnings for enhanced effectiveness.
Upon completion of this programme, participants will be equipped with the skills to analyse change situations, identify the range of interventions available and the skills to implement these interventions.
Specifically participants will gain:
- An understanding of the psychology behind change and the challenges of managing cultural change;
- An understanding of the frameworks surrounding organisational renewal and transformation with a view to exploiting change opportunities within their organisations;
- Strategic insight into the characteristics of designing and implementing effective change in their organisation;
- Deeper insight into interventions to enhance leadership and managerial impact.
Assessments and Workload
This programme involves no examinations – instead the emphasis throughout is on the practical application of knowledge to benefit you and your organisation. Assessment workload is spread across the duration of the programme to allow you to combine learning with work and life demands. In order to accelerate learning, between modules participants are expected to complete assigned reading from texts, cases and articles.
All continuous assessment is completed by participants either individually or in groups and this is set out in the study guide for each module. Some modules require pre-coursework in addition to the post-coursework which is set for each taught modules.
Professor Karan Sonpar joined University College Dublin in 2009. He earned his PhD from the University of Alberta, Canada. He has held prior academic appointments at IE Business School, Spain and University of Manitoba, Canada. He served as Captain in the Indian Army prior to his PhD. His work ha...
Colm Murphy has a wealth of experience in all aspects of coaching. He is a successful executive and team coach whose area of expertise is in taking a psychological approach with leaders and their teams to achieve meaningful behavioural changes that drive business results. Colm set up his own coac...
Patrick is Jefferson Smurfit Professor of Strategic Management at UCD School of Business and Academic Director, Smurfit Executive Development. Before entering academia, Patrick worked in a number of financial analysis, corporate strategy and senior HR roles with KPMG, Jefferson Smurfit Group, The...
Seán has a wealth of experience in all aspects of Human Resource Management. He was previously Group HR Director, ESB, carried out a number of senior international HR manager roles for Solar Turbines Europe SA and ESI (subsidiaries of Caterpillar Inc.) and worked in a wide range of ER/IR roles wi...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.