Who should attend
All staff who need to communicate in a confident, efficient and friendly manner on the telephone. It is ideal for those who have frequent contact with customers and is suited to those on switchboard or reception, in customer service, call centres and help desks and those in a team secretary role.
About the course
Developing effective telephone skills can be difficult. The telephone is the most familiar piece of technology in the workplace and its use is often taken for granted in the way we speak to our customers, the way relationships are forged or broken and the way information is relayed. The ability to communicate in a prompt, friendly and professional manner is essential to creating the right impression and getting your message across.
This developing effective telephone skills training course will enable delegates to develop, or refresh, the techniques and skills required to make and take calls effectively. They will learn and practice methods for giving and receiving information logically and clearly, building rapport and dealing with difficult callers. Role-play will be used with real life examples to ensure the course is relevant and applicable.
## Course Objectives
Create the right impression of yourself and your company and present an image of total customer care.
Communicate confidently and handle customer calls with courtesy, enthusiasm and friendly efficiency.
Handle calls in a structured way, project professionalism in words and voice and speak with clarity.
Manage difficult and aggressive customers and resolve problems successfully.
Ask the right questions, listen and deal with enquiries, messages and complaints effectively.
Close calls by summarizing outcomes and agreed actions with the caller and by recording details.
## Course Outline
Creating a Professional Image over the Telephone
- Understanding how customers form their impressions
- First and lasting impressions - getting it right!
- Handling the key stages of the call - achieving seamless service
- Sounding professional and confident
- What not to say - avoiding the image-wreckers
Improving Your Telephone Communication Skills
- Developing your telephone voice
- Techniques to aid clear speaking - articulation, assimilation, rate, pace, inflection
- Examining the difference between hearing and listening
- Supportive techniques to enhance listening skills - showing empathy and clarifying understanding
- Examining techniques - being Courteous, Clear, Colourful, Concise, Consistent, Correct and Communicative
Controlling the Telephone Process Confidently
- Making and taking calls - the do's and don'ts
- Being prepared and beginning the call
- How to sound confident and helpful - building rapport
- Dealing with enquiries - getting the facts and controlling the call
- Ending the call
Handling Problems, Upset Callers and Difficult Customers
- Developing flexibility - handling every call effectively
- Handling complaints and demanding customers - maintaining a positive approach
- Resolving problems - identifying a process
Dealing with Phone-rage - Handling Anxiety
- Identifying causes - building your confidence on the telephone
- Developing techniques to overcome anxiety
Personal Development - Putting it all Together
- Integrating attitudes and behaviors for effective techniques
- Refining your telephone manner - developing a welcoming style
- Formulating a personal action plan
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.