Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Mid-level to senior executives responsible for strategic planning, general management and acquisitions
- Managers of marketing, operations and other functional areas who aspire to take on strategy-focused responsibilities
- Strategy consultants
About the course
Creating and sustaining competitive advantage
Competitive advantage is not only difficult to achieve — it’s a challenge to maintain, especially in times of uncertainty and change. In a highly collaborative learning environment, you’ll learn how to leverage top Kellogg faculty members' latest thinking on how to remain competitive in challenging markets. You’ll gain practical insights from in-depth examination of the experiences of other leading companies and why certain strategies fail and others succeed.
As you work with fellow, likeminded participants, you’ll explore how best to apply those insights to build a solid foundation for your own profitability and growth. You’ll sharpen your analytic skills, learn how to capitalize on growth opportunities and avoid strategic mistakes. You’ll leave with a clear articulation of your organization’s competitive advantages and a powerful, long-term action plan for making the most of your competitive strengths.
- Develop and sharpen your analytic strategy skills
- Examine theories and frameworks for identifying and exploiting profitable opportunities
- Learn how to avoid strategic mistakes
- Gain valuable insight from the successes and failures of respected firms and the issues they face looking forward
Fundamentals of Competitive Strategy
- Learn analytical frameworks for strategy formulation
- Understand the economics of value creation and capture
External Environment Analysis
- Explore the market forces underlying industry profitability and firm performance
- Learn modern game-theory approaches for competing effectively with a small number of rivals
- Understand industry evolution and optimal responses to growth opportunities and shakeouts
- Identify winner-takes-all markets – a different battle
Internal Profitability Analysis
- Articulate and evaluate competitive advantage
- Assess the long-term sustainability of competitive advantage
- Develop resources and effective capabilities for strategic investments
- Capitalize on growth opportunities through strategic positioning and fit
Thomas Hubbard has been a professor at Kellogg since 2005, and served as Senior Associate Dean, Strategic Initiatives from 2012-2015. Before coming to Kellogg, he was a professor at the University of Chicago GSB and the University of California, Los Angeles. During 2004-5, he was a visiting profe...
Michael J. Mazzeo is an Associate Professor in the Department of Strategy, and a Faculty Associate at Northwestern University's Institute for Policy Research and the Faculty Director of Kellogg's Chicago Campus. He serves on the editorial board of the Review of Industrial Organization. Mazzeo's...
Meghan Busse joined the Kellogg faculty in 2008 as an Associate Professor of Strategy. Prior to that, she was on the faculty of the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley and at the Yale School of Management. She has taught both economics and strategy, and teaches the core strategy course at Kell...
Professor Garthwaite is an Associate Professor of Strategy and the Co-Director of Kellogg's Health Enterprise Management Program (HEMA). He is an applied microeconomist whose research examines the effects of government policies and social phenomena with a focus on health and biopharmaceutical sec...
Ann Zastrow is a Director in Executive Education at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, where she designs and directs custom learning and open enrollment programs for senior executives. She is an experienced and trusted partner working closely with faculty, clients, and p...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.