Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- Brand managers and directors
- Marketing, communication and creative leaders
- Brand ambassadors such as Customer Experience managers
- Growth and strategy leaders, including consultants
- Branding agency executives and teams
- General managers
About the course
In a hyper-connected world with so much noise and competition, effective branding and marketing are more important than ever. In this environment, many struggle to grow while new, founder-led brands capture momentum. As a leader, how do you find growth and long-term profitability? By building a winning brand that offers a distinct customer advantage.
In this highly-interactive 6-week online experience, the brand experts at Kellogg provide engaging activities in every module that allow you to put the concepts you learn into practice right away. You’ll benefit from their real-world experience with global brands, their proprietary frameworks, and case studies that you won’t find elsewhere.
- Learn to develop your brand’s positioning, character and purpose
- Discover different approaches for evaluating the health of your brand
- Understand how to make smart brand portfolio decisions and manage growth
- Create a powerful marketing plan for a real-world application
- Determine how to drive growth and defend against competitive attacks using a financial risk assessment tool
Module 1 - The Power and Challenge of Branding
- Understand what we mean by “brands” and how they add value
- Distinguish how brands can both help and hurt a product’s proposition
- Demonstrate the importance of building customer advantage
Module 2 - Defining Your Brand: Targeting, Positioning, Character and Purpose
- Assess the risks and benefits of designing products and services to appeal to everyone in a heterogeneous market vs. a hyper-targeted one
- Apply the rules for picking a smart target market
- Construct a positioning statement which captures a winning brand positioning
- Determine whether a cause- or purpose-driven marketing approach could add a tailwind to the positioning
Module 3 - Bringing Your Brand to Life: Brand Design and Touch Points
- Develop personas to gain clarity on who your target customers are
- Construct a meaningful customer journey for a product category and identify crucial touch points
Module 4 - Nurturing Prospects: Qualifying Prospects, Listening and Asking Questions and Acing the Meeting
- Learn how to optimally manage a brand portfolio as a system and best practices for portfolio management
- Examine the different options available when building a portfolio
- Analyze whether you should launch a new brand or do a brand extension
Module 5 - Managing Your Brands
- Learn different methods for assessing brand health
- Recognize the shortcomings of legacy brand tracking measures for measuring brand association networks
- Apply the Awareness/Liking/Share model of Brand Tracking to diagnose key brand challenges and potential strategic solutions
- Create a powerful and concise one page marketing plan that will garner support from management
Module 6 - Brand Strategy Growth and Defense
- Explain why most businesses have to grow to stay healthy
- Construct a strategically-designed brand or line extension
- Evaluate growth opportunities from both broadening a brand and tightening its focus
- Analyze competitive threats and determine if and/or how you need to defend your brand
- Create a strategic defense plan
Tim Calkins helps people build strong and profitable brands. He is Clinical Professor of Marketing at Northwestern Universityâ€™s Kellogg School of Management where he teaches courses including Marketing Strategy and Biomedical Marketing in the full-time, part-time and international executive MB...
Julie Hennessy is a Clinical Professor of Marketing at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. Professor Hennessy's MBA and Executive teaching focuses on the development of Marketing Strategies to enhance long-term competitive advantage and profitability. She works frequently...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.