About the course
Leading self, leading others
This program’s unique “leading self” focus is designed to help you deepen your understanding of how to be an effective leader and communicator from the inside out. Become more self-aware, as you choose to improve your emotional intelligence. Use communication as an extension of your personal, self-regulated interpersonal and leadership choices.
Benefits for you
- Uncover and define your own leadership and communication style
- Understand how your actions and words affect others
- Open communication channels through empathy and active listening
- Recognize what motivates others and communicate to them according to their needs
- Inspire people by appealing to their values
- Deliver helpful and supportive feedback, and seek feedback for oneself
- Developing Emotional Intelligence: becoming more self-aware, controlling defensive impulses, aligning your actions with your values, managerial compassion vs. holding people accountable
- The Johari Window: absorbing and sharing information relevant to more effective, open, two-way working relationships
- Bolman and Deal’s 4 Frames: choosing the best communication approach to given situations
- How hierarchy and power affect communication: choosing types of power that will garner commitment and avoid negative reactions
- Practicing active, engaged listening
- The art of giving and receiving feedback
- Building trust and respect
This program is designed to develop real-world skills while deepening your self-awareness. It employs a dynamic mix of group discussions, activity-based development and feedback to help you reach your potential.
Tracey Gurton has been lecturing in the Sauder School of Business at UBC for 6 years. During that time she has taught undergraduates, masters students in two faculties, and business executives. She has also taught in similar programs at Simon Fraser University and the British Columbia Institute o...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.