Comprehensive course analysis
About the course
Leading self, leading others
This program’s unique “leading self” focus is designed to help you deepen your understanding of how to be an effective leader and communicator from the inside out. Become more self-aware, as you choose to improve your emotional intelligence. Use communication as an extension of your personal, self-regulated interpersonal and leadership choices.
Online program format
The program includes facilitator-led online sessions in real time with ample breaks provided. The sessions are highly interactive, enabling you to network with peers, brainstorm ideas, engage in skill-building activities, and receive constructive feedback. You will also have access to self-directed resources (readings, videos, self-assessments etc.) that you can review at any time.
Benefits for you
- Uncover and define your own leadership and communication style
- Understand how your actions and words affect others
- Open communication channels through empathy and active listening
- Recognize what motivates others and communicate to them according to their needs
- Inspire people by appealing to their values
- Deliver helpful and supportive feedback, and seek feedback for oneself
- Connecting emotional intelligence, personal leadership and communication
- EQ foundations and what matters most
- Focus and self-awareness
- The communication process and individual differences
- Emotional self-regulation
- The importance of humility
- Power and its effects, refining power
- Motivating yourself and others
- Giving and receiving effective feedback
- Developing and communicating empathy
- Social skills and integrity
- How to make a difference
This program is designed to develop real-world skills while deepening your self-awareness. It employs a dynamic mix of group discussions, activity-based development and feedback to help you reach your potential.
Tracey Gurton has been lecturing in the Sauder School of Business at UBC for 6 years. During that time she has taught undergraduates, masters students in two faculties, and business executives. She has also taught in similar programs at Simon Fraser University and the British Columbia Institute o...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.