Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program is designed for professionals within all business units who have responsibility for delivering clear and concisely verbal communications or persuasive, impactful presentations.
About the course
In business, your best idea is only as good as your ability to effectively share it with others.
Strong technical analyses, breakthrough insights and sound strategic decisions risk being undervalued, misinterpreted or worse yet — ignored — if they are not clearly and convincingly presented to key stakeholders.
The complexity of ongoing innovations in analytics, digitization and artificial intelligence have driven the need for businesses to think differently and adapt quickly. Success ultimately depends on ensuring that your organization's employees have the technical skills to take advantage of the changing world of business and that information flows clearly and seamlessly between them and the outside world. Absence of either needlessly costs your firm money and damages stakeholder engagement at every level.
Communicating with Impact is a new online program, designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills to confidently share your insights, analyses and recommendations with diverse audiences both inside and outside your organization.
In this program you will learn to:
- Deliver presentations that engage, inform and motivate others
- Understand the impact of voice and body language on how a message is received
- Select the presentation content, structure and format that best aligns with your target audience
We all know an effective presentation when we see and hear one but few of us have the chance to learn the essential ingredients. This program is designed to bridge that gap.
- Learn to connect with your audience authentically on a logical and emotional level
- Develop confidence in your ability to manage your nerves and overcome anxiety when speaking in front of others
- Improve your personal leadership capacity with improved communication style
- Learn to establish trust and credibility with new and known audiences
- Use practical frameworks to best organize content and cater to target audiences, including supervisors, advisory boards and prospective clients
Build organizational strength and skills in presentation design and delivery.
- Overcome frequent internal communication challenges
- Improve your success rate for business development and new client pitches
- Streamline the translation and transmission of knowledge between units, particularly those who do not share the same technical expertise
- Improved agility with technological innovation, decision-making and problem solving.
Complete a simple and quick pre-program assignment to gain a better understanding of your current verbal presentation abilities, communication style and development challenges.
During the Program:
Through a combination of expert coaching, experiential exercises and video analysis of business presentations you will learn:
- The key principles of influence and persuasion that resonate with any audience
- How to build a communication strategy that takes into account your goals, target audience as well as the internal and external contexts
- How to deliver higher quality business presentations that engage, inform and motivate others
- Methods of critically analyzing your presentation style to better understand the impact of voice and body language on how your message is received
- Strategies to overcome negative associations with pre-presentation anxiety and use nervous energy to your advantage
- How to better select, organize and structure presentation content to craft a compelling narrative arc
- Appropriate use of imagery, personal stories and data to engage and inform your audience
- Techniques to critically analyze your presentations to ensure ongoing improvement and future success
Reflection assignments will challenge you to put new skills into practice once back at work. New self-assessment skills will allow you to continue optimizing presentation abilities throughout your career.
Post-session coaching is also available, at an additional fee, should you desire.
Matthew Reesor is the Director of the Full-time MBA at Smith School of Business. He has held administrative leadership and faculty positions at Nagoya University of Commerce and Business (NUCB) and Queen’s University. He was a recipient of the Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award while at NUCB....
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.