Who should attend
Mid-to-senior-level managers in the public and not-for-profit sectors and those interested in their own leadership development and developing the leadership of others around them.
About the course
If there is one thing the COVID-19 pandemic has taught us about leadership, it is the importance of authenticity. Good, authentic leaders generate trust and confidence. They are made not born. The best leaders go beyond management expertise and bring their authentic selves into their leadership.
So, what’s holding you back from reaching your leadership potential?
Join Harvard Kennedy School public policy lecturer Dr Dana Born, a distinguished former military leader, to better understand your personal story, find your distinctive leadership purpose and learn how to lead more effectively and meaningfully.
This engaging online workshop held over 5 x 2.5 hour days, will show you how to build your leadership abilities and help you take control of your career. The workshop also features individual and team tasks to complete outside of the online environment.
You will learn to shift your leadership focus from “I” to ‘we”, use your own personal story to shape your leadership style and discover that authentic leadership is about leading by example and empowering others.
Discover ideas, techniques and tools to grow your self-awareness, develop a ‘learning mindset’ and assist you in your leadership development journey.
What do previous participants say?
Testimonials from previous Authentic Leadership participants:
- “One of the best leadership programs I have undertaken.”
- “I learnt so much and it gave me a measure of my own leadership.”
- “Dana was a very attentive but appropriately direct and engaging facilitator. She really managed the online environment well.”
- “Dana’s positive attitude was infectious.”
- “I appreciated the opportunity to learn from and engage with other leaders who work in a variety of areas and contexts.”
- “As an introvert, I would say the online program suited my learning style as I felt more physically and emotionally comfortable.”
- “I thought it was an excellent course that challenged me to think about who I am and how that influences the people I lead. I'll be doing some things differently as a result, and that is what I hope for when attending training. Thank you!”
- “Congratulations to Dana and the ANZSOG team. So impressive. I wasn’t disappointed!”
What will you learn?
Dr Born will guide you through case studies, individual exercises, debates and small-group discussions. You will create a leadership purpose statement to launch your own “true north” development plan.
By the end of the workshop you will:
- have reflected on your leadership journey and the crucibles that have shaped you by examining your life story and experiences
- understand why leaders lose their way and the self-awareness needed to avoid this
- have explored how to build support teams and lead an integrated life
- understand the purpose of your leadership and empower other leaders, while optimising your own leadership effectiveness.
Dana H. Born, Lecturer in Public Policy, is a retired brigadier general with 30 years of service in the U.S. Air Force. Prior to coming to Harvard, from 2004-2013, she served two terms as the President appointed dean of the faculty for the U.S. Air Force Academy where she was also a professor and...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.