Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
With a minimum of five years’ management experience required, our Accelerated Development Programme is designed for successful managers transitioning to a bigger management role. It’s a programme for those being asked to operate beyond their functional expertise and focus instead on shaping an organisation’s strategy and successfully leading people.
Managers who have recently stepped up to – or are about to step up to – a general management/head of business role, leading their business unit to deliver sustainable value within the organisation.
- Senior functional managers responsible for managing other managers – individuals who are required to contribute to the shaping and formulation of business strategy, and its effective communication and implementation within their function and across the organisation.
- Senior project/programme managers tasked with managing large, strategic projects to support the delivery of their organisation’s business strategy – individuals required to coordinate and manage resources and effective decision making across different business areas.
- Individuals with a proven track record in management gained in any functional or technical area of their business.
About the course
Fast-track to a bigger management role with the core general management essentials of strategy, finance and leadership. Experience our transformational four-week programme in the heart of London.
What kind of leader do you want to be?
Embark on a transformational journey to create lasting impact on your organisation and your future.
Good for you
- Learn to navigate complexity and change in the digital world, and adopt new approaches to strategic management and decision making.
- Sharpen your leadership skills by challenging and developing your self-awareness and understanding your impact on others.
- Expand your perspectives and unlock your thinking through a transformational journey with a diverse group of business leaders – and build your community for life.
- Fuel a collaborative mindset, harness the power of diversity, and maximise performance within your organisation.
- Develop the confidence to effectively deal with other senior leaders across a variety of business functions.
- Enhance your understanding of how your business generates value, and learn to lead and contribute on complex discussions about your organisation’s future.
- Learn how adjusting your lifestyle can enhance your productivity and impact with our integrated wellbeing curriculum.
Good for your organisation
- Invest in your top talent and create a lasting impact on your organisation.
- Build your executive pipeline, and empower your people to successfully navigate the transition to bigger management challenges.
- Develop awareness of the opportunities and risks facing your business, and upskill your people to strategically navigate complexity and change in the digital world.
- Grow your managers’ confidence and people skills, to engage and develop teams and individuals.
- Drive innovation in your business with renewed knowledge, networks and impactful skills.
What you learn
- Climb to new career heights. Develop your strategic capabilities to shape and execute business strategy while honing your leadership and people management skills to engage and inspire teams across your organisation.
- Strategy and innovation. Develop a general management perspective by shifting your thinking from ‘functional expert’ to ‘strategic leader’. Learn to identify opportunities for value creation, delivery and capture, and put in place the processes, structure and culture that will enable innovation to flourish.
- Leading people and managing organisational change. Strategy alone cannot create or sustain value. To effectively execute and manage the change process, you need to use both negotiation and influencing skills. Discover what makes your people tick, implement change management systems in line with your organisational structure, avoid common pitfalls and use your strengths to lead your organisation to sustained success.
- Effective decision making. One of the greatest challenges' managers face is making decisions through uncertainty. Hone tested techniques that support your decision making by tapping into the collective experience and intuition of your team and organisation. Learn how to manage the technical and commercial risks of your business with the latest tools and frameworks.
- Deliver customer value. The long-term success of your organisation is often determined by its ability to create and deliver customer value. Analyse your customer needs in order to define your product strategy and maintain and enhance a powerful brand.
- The financial equation. When stepping up to a senior management role and aligning financial resources and strategy, adopting the latest business thinking is essential. Understand the foundations of finance and organisational performance to make strategic decisions that maximise value.
- A journey of self-awareness. We begin by challenging you to understand your contribution as a leader, both now and in the future. Heighten your self-awareness by examining diverse leadership in multiple contexts that will challenge your thinking and help you develop a more global perspective.
Your learning experience
Consider the impact you are currently having and want to deliver through a 360-degree review and the 5 STeP psychometric personality questionnaire.
- Develop leadership capabilities with intensive 360-degree feedback and action planning
- Learn with an exceptional group of peers from all over the world through group exercises and social learning.
- Focus on strategy formulation, evaluating and managing organisational performance, managing risk and leading change
- Scope and refine your business challenge with an action plan and objectives for the inter-modular break.
Back in the workplace (6-8 WEEKS)
Apply your personal action plan and new classroom concepts in your workplace Receive support from your group and coach.
- Explore how to create and deliver customer value and raise your brand profile
- Focus on the dynamics of digital disruption, digital platforms and sustainability and how you can leverage these to achieve strategic advantage.
- Consider decision-making processes and practice – navigating change and creative analytical thinking
- Finalise your bespoke action plan for implementation.
Reinforce your learning post-programme through one-on-one and group coaching sessions and the opportunity to re-take your 360 survey after six months to measure your impact.
To further embed and enhance your learning, you will also have the option to complete an online strategy elective focusing on innovation, digital transformation or sustainability to drive further strategic advantage.
You can choose to do this between or after the face-to-face modules and can join any iteration up to 12 months after completion of the face-to-face modules. These online electives have five or six learning module weeks and are a combination of self-directed learning, live faculty teaching sessions, live learning manager sessions and virtual support – requiring three to five hours of work per learning module week.
How you learn
- Challenge and develop your leadership skills and self-awareness through coaching, 360 surveys and peer group feedback.
- Build a tailored action plan with a clear focus for your return to work.
- Absorb years of commercial experience and academic prowess from world-renowned faculty, grounded in real-world practicality.
- Challenge yourself with exposure to your cohort’s wide range of diverse perspectives, unlocking your thinking and altering your approach to global business.
- Build a lifelong global network of supportive relationships from within your cohort as you move through your transformational journey together.
- Dive deeper into three critical areas of strategy by completing an optional online strategy elective in innovation, digital transformation or sustainability.
- Following the programme, benefit from check-ins with your executive coaches to track business impact in a real-life context.
Hybrid learning is a new learning model that enables the simultaneous delivery of our programmes to participants either on campus or live virtually. We’ve carefully designed this approach to create a seamless learning experience, where virtual and face-to-face participants interact and learn together. Virtual participants will also have the opportunity to live the London experience by joining us on campus for an exclusive day of networking with like-minded professionals and with the latest thinking from our world-class faculty.
Professor of Organisational Behaviour, Chair, Organisational Behaviour Faculty BS MA (Minnesota), PhD (University of California, Berkeley) Professor Randall S. Peterson is Chair of the Organisational Behaviour Subject Area and Vice President of the School’s Campaign Committee. His current resea...
Professor of Management Science and Operations; Chair, Management Science and Operations Faculty MSc (Madrid), MSc and PhD (Stanford) Professor Victor DeMiguel’s research focuses on the design, analysis, and application of quantitative models for managerial decision making with applications in ...
Gillian Ku is Associate Professor of Organisational Behaviour at London Business School. She received her PhD in Management and Organizations from the Kellogg School of Management. Prior to her doctoral studies, Gillian earned her bachelor’s degree at Harvard University and worked at the Disney C...
BA MPhil (London), MBA (City), DBA (Harvard) Dr David Arnold’s research focuses on global versus local marketing; marketing strategy; innovation and market evolution; brand management; and global customer management. He has been a strong advocate of local marketing by global corporations. His wr...
João Cocco is a Professor of Finance at London Business School, a Research Fellow of the Centre for Economic Policy Research, a Fellow of the Centre for Financial Studies, and a Founding Member of the CEPR Network on Household Finance. He holds an MA and a PhD degree in economics from Harvard U...
Dr Ioannou is a strategy scholar whose research focuses on Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). More specifically, he seeks to understand whether, how, and the extent to which the modern business organization contributes towards building a sustainable future. His academic wor...
Dr. Aneeta Rattans’ research interests focus on mindsets and intergroup relations (stereotyping, prejudice, and inequity). In one program of research, she studies mindsets that promote belonging, commitment, and achievement among minorities and women in the face of stereotypes and implicit bias. ...
Dr Sherman's research focuses on inequality in the workplace, primarily with respect to gender. His work looking at whether female managers influence the wage gap between their male and female subordinates was published in the American Journal of Sociology. Another project investigates whether wo...
Professor Lakshmanan Shivakumar is a prolific and influential academic researcher, who has been invited to talk at universities and conferences in over 25 countries. He is currently a council member of the American Accounting Association. He was formerly the subject area Chair for the Accounting ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.