Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with .Full disclaimer.
About the course
In the current VUCA (volatile, uncertain, complex, ambiguous) world, delivering consistent value is not easy.
What do you need to succeed as a Manager in the Oil & Gas Industry?
To succeed as a manager, you need to have a solid understanding of all parts of the business. You need to know how each part and level in the organization interacts with each other and contributes to corporate success. It is no longer enough to just work effectively on your own; you also must work exceedingly well across the company.
So, how can you get this understanding and experience faster if you have a scientific, engineering, technical or specialist background? What tools do you need to understand what is driving your strategy? How can you align your contribution consistently to the organization’s strategy? How do you balance short term vs. long term when things are changing so quickly and so dramatically?
This Oil and Gas Management Course will help you address those challenges.
Are you ready for the challenge?
Your immediate takeaway:
- Get a general overview of Leadership, Strategy, Execution and Marketing, Operational Excellence, International Managerial Economics and International Finance in the Oil & Gas Industry
- Have a solid understanding of all parts of a business, and how each part and level in the organization interacts with each other and contributes to corporate success
- Return to work with more confidence to identify the best business and management strategic processes for your organization
This oil and gas management course combines proven-by-practice methods with new insights and ideas that will grow your business skills. You will gain a wider perspective of management practice through breakout sessions, exercises, and case applications.
How will you benefit?
After participating in this programme, you will grow your business and management skills & competencies and be able to:
- Understand how a corporation works with a multi-functional overview of a business and key leadership competences necessary for success
- Develop strategic thinking, planning and execution skills using appropriate tools and frameworks
- Influence, enable and deliver wider organizational objectives
- Make better business decisions and improve your contribution to the business
- Be able to assess the business environment and translate changes into competitive strategies for sustainable growth
- Support strategic goals from top management and be able to translate them for your area and implement them more efficiently
- Better implement strategy through the people in your team and different departments with new leadership skills
- Develop a specific learning plan on how to implement key learning aspect in your daily work
- Sharpen your business and collaboration skills by actively working in teams on a business simulation synchronised with the daily classroom subjects and getting progressively more complex during the week
- Benefit from immediate feedback to help you deliver short term results within the context of long-term strategy
During the programme you will:
- Network and learn with a diverse group of peers from different industries and countries in an international environment
- Develop a personal action plan to implement back at work
- Learn and practise new skills using real-business-world examples and exercises over 5 interactive days
What will you learn and practice?
The 5-Day Mini MBA for the Oil & Gas Industry is a 5-day hands-on training programme, highly interactive with exercises and role plays. The programme will be led by an experienced facilitator with former management experience in international companies. The training programme is built around a business simulation during the 5 days training, each day mimicking 1-year of a typical 5-year business cycle. The business simulation provides an exciting business environment in which learning takes place experientially, through trial and error, as you seek to lead your company in a very dynamic business situation.
The learning environment consists of participants grouped into competing teams piloting a company. Each strategy is implemented through decisions, with each decision having its own learning purpose. Results are instantly available, allowing each team to compare and evaluate its performance and to prepare for the next round. The pace is fast, but so is the level of excitement and learning.
5-Day Mini MBA for the Oil & Gas Industry Course Outline:
The preparation includes the following:
- Competency profiling to be completed by yourself and your manager. This profile will assess your leadership competences. During the programme you will receive your report as well as feedback
- A self-assessment to measure your preferences in learning
- Pre-course reading including the following articles:
- Oil & Gas Trends 2019-2040, IEA report
- A perspective on the Oil & Gas Industry
- Impact of non-fossil energy sources on the Oil & Gas industry
- Leadership Skills for an Uncertain World. CCL report
- Optional: In order to be fully prepared, we recommend a short (30min) virtual session with our faculty to introduce the programme and establish expectations.
During the 5-Day Mini MBA for Oil & Gas
A Business Simulation will be used throughout the 5 days and will cover activities of 5 financial reporting years. You will work in teams of 3 to 4 people and your objective will be to maximise profitability over the strategic 5-year period.
Day 1: Leadership Key leadership competences, self-profiling, reflection and feedback from facilitator and peers.
- Leadership competences and organizational success
- Leadership characteristics of successful leaders: Learning from the best
- Emotional intelligence and personal impact
- Leadership in a global context and in a VUCA (volatile, uncertain, complex, ambiguous) world
- Leadership in a culturally diverse environment
- Leadership through disruptive change and innovation
- Leadership in complex organisations: Matrix, partnerships and joint ventures (JVs)
- Business Simulation: Building Business Awareness. Start of the simulation.
- Evening work: Reading
Day 2: Strategy & Marketing Building and Executing Strategy—Learn the fundamentals of marketing and sales that underpin business success.
- Strategy roadmap and competitive strategy: Oil & Gas market and strategies of international Oil & Gas companies
- Blue Ocean Thinking: Management method of creating business strategies based on the idea that every enterprise can achieve higher profits by creating new demands in non-competitive markets.
- Innovation and strategic agility
- Marketing and Sales: New trends in sales, insight selling, and negotiating to win
- Business Simulation: Strategic thinking and framing
- Evening work: reading
Day 3: Operational Excellence
- Select the right Organizational Design and manage it accordingly
- Technology trends in Oil & Gas: Hydraulic fracking, enhanced recovery and stimulations, 4D seismic analysis, automation and robots, IoT technology
- Manage projects and field operations efficiently
- Manage and develop your staff and communication across the organization
- Oil & Gas exploration, development and production
- Production contracts: Engineering, production and construction (EPC) strategies and contracting
- Financial Statements: Profit & Loss Statement (P&L)
- Business Simulation: Finance & Strategy Implementation
Day 4: International Finance
- Understand Oil & Gas finance basics
- International financial markets: Rules and principles of contracting
- Make better investment decisions
- Manage joint venture finance
- Business Simulation: Finance (continued) & Competitive Position
- Final Evening Assignment (reading)
Day 5: International & Managerial Economics
- Geopolitics in the Oil & Gas sectors
- Resource owners, Oil & Gas contracts, tax regimes, local content
- International and managerial economics: Key social, economic phenomena, developments and impact on organizations and businesses
- Entering foreign markets: The 3 steps to enter foreign markets
- Final Business simulation: Celebration of the winners
- Bringing it all together: Your key learnings and preparation for the knowledge test.
Post-Attendance The post-attendance activities contain the following:
- A knowledge test about the content taught in the training programme as well as a complete and comprehensive plan of the major (3) learnings of each participant and how they will use it in working life.
- Participation in 2 post-programme group conference calls to support application and on-going learning and to build a community of practice
- Q&A exchange via email for 3 months following the programme.
Who should attend
If you are a functional, specialist or mid-level manager who wants to develop a wider and deeper understanding of how an organization in the Oil & Gas Industry works to deliver value to its stakeholders, this programme is right for you.
Some of the professionals that usually attend to this business and management training course are:
- Experienced professionals wanting to update or broaden their business knowledge and skills
- Individuals looking to master the language of business and gain greater perspective on the Oil & Gas Industry
Trust the experts
Ramesh Fatania has 25 years’ broad international experience gained in Marketing, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, ERP Systems, Corporate Strategy and Planning, and Mergers and Acquisitions with BP (British Petroleum Plc). He possesses considerable experience in Post-Merger Integration, and has led ma...