Stephanie has a passion for early stage and growth companies, particularly family businesses. As part of her role at Cranfield School of Management she is the Director of the Business Growth Programme (BGP), the longest established owner-manager programme in the UK. Previously, Stephanie was the Director of the full-time MBA programme at Cranfield.
Stephanie teaches on executive, graduate, and doctoral levels on entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial finance, family business and quantitative research methods. Besides working with entrepreneurs, Stephanie cooperates with charities and firms on how to encourage and implement intrapreneurship.
Her current research focuses on entrepreneurial resilience, family business and business survival. Stephanie has written several prize winning case studies and is now frequently asked to give talks about case study writing and teaching.
Stephanie has also been an invited member of the judging panel for the National Business Awards, the Great British Entrepreneur Awards, Growth Investor Award and the Case Centre Awards Competition. She has also been an external mentor at JLAB, the John Lewis incubator.
- Articles in journals
- Conference papers
Articles In Journals
- Burke A & Hussels S (2013) How Competition Strengthens Start-ups, Harvard Business Review, 91 (3).
- Burke A & Hussels S (2013) Competition is good for start-ups, Management Focus, Spring (34) 16-19.
- Hussels S (2012) Case by case, Global Focus- European Foundation for Management Development, 6 (1) 50-53.
- Brown R & Hussels S (2011) Moonpig.com - Do MBA Business Plans Really Work? Against all the Odds, International Review of Entrepreneurship, 9 (4) 253-272.
- Brown R & Hussels S (2011) Moonpig.com - Do MBA Business Plans Really Work? Over the Moon, International Review of Entrepreneurship, 9 (4) 273-284.
- Brown R & Hussels S (2011) Moonpig.com - Do MBA Business Plans Really Work? Bringing Home the Bacon, International Review of Entrepreneurship, 9 (4) 285-288.
- Hussels S & Brown R (2010) The business of contemporary art: the evolution of the UK''s leading contemporary arts magazine and fair, International Review of Entrepreneurship, 8 (3) 245-260.
- Hussels S & Molian D (2010) Live Life Adventurously Go Ape Case Study Part A: Monkeying Around?, International Review of Entrepreneurship, 8 (4) 337-346.
- Hussels S & Molian D (2010) Live Life Adventurously Go Ape Case Study Part B: Eight Hundred Pound Gorilla?, International Review of Entrepreneurship, 8 (4) 347-356.
- Hussels S (2008) Organic Apoteke Case Study: Being Spoilt for Choice is Not Always Easy, International Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, 6 (3) 171-190.
- Hussels S, Ward D & Zurbruegg R (2005) Stimulating the demand for insurance, Risk Management and Insurance Review, 8 (2) 257-278.
- Hussels S, Koryak O & Reinmoeller P (2014) Repertory grid-based analysis of entrepreneurs'' resilience. In: EURAM 2014: 14th European Academy of Management Annual Conference, Valencia, 4 June 2014.
- Hall M, Kutsch E & Hussels S (2014) Making sense of uncertainty in start-up companies: the resilience funnel. In: EURAM 2014: 14th European Academy of Management Annual Conference, Valencia, 4-7 June 2014.
- Hussels S, Koryak O, Reinmoeller P & Tobias J (2014) Weathering the storms: unpacking entrepreneurs'' resilience using repertory grid technique. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2014, Philadelphia, PA. 74th, 1-5 August 2014.
- Hussels S, Koryak O & Reinmoeller P (2014) Weathering the storms: identifying attributes of entrepreneurs’ resilience using repertory grid technique. In: EURAM 2014**: 14th European Academy of Management Annual Conference, Valencia, 4-7 June 2014.
- Koryak O, Hussels S & Kutsch E (2012) Resource Orchestration: Internal Governance as a Mechanism of Synchronization. In: EURAM 2012 - 12th European Academy of Management Conference, Rotterdam, 6 June 2012.
- Hussels S, Tobias J, Reinnoeller P & Kutsch E (2011) Entrepreneurial mindfulness - An exploratory study. In: G-Forum 2011: 15th annual interdisciplinary entrepreneurship conference, St Gallen/Zurich, 2 November 2011.
- Hussels S, Audretsch D & Burke A (2010) Do More Resilient Firms Enter With or Without the Herd? Venture Start-Up Timing and Performance. In: 2010 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Lausanne, Switzerland, 9 June 2010.
- Burke A & Hussels S (2008) From start-up dream to economic reality: the evolution of the determinants of new business survival in the UK. In: IECER 2008: Interdisciplinary European Conference on Entrepreneurship Research, Regensburg, 5 March 2008.
- Hussels S & Ward D (2006) The impact of deregulation on the German and UK life insurance markets: An Analysis of efficiency and productivity over 1991-2002. In: Dynamics of Insurance Markets: Structure, Conduct, and Performance in the 21st Century, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 4 May 2006.
- Hussels S & Larsen G (2011) The Significance of Commercial Music Festivals. In: Handbook on the Economics of Leisure. Cameron S (ed.), Edward Elgar, p. 250-270.
- Hussels S & van Stel A (2008) Global Entrepreneurship Monitor and Entrepreneurs'' Export Orientation. In: Measuring Entrepreneurship: Building a Statistical System (International Studies in Enterpreneurship), New York: Springer, p. 265-278.
- Hussels S & Ward D (2007) The impact of deregulation on the German and UK life insurance markets: an analysis of efficiency and productivity between 1991-2002. In: SOM Research Paper Series 4/07.
- Hussels S, Sherman C, Ward D & Zurbruegg R (2007) South and East Asian Insurance Market Growth and Development. In: Handbook of International Insurance. Between Global Dynamics and Local Contingencies, Springer, p. 849-876.