Associate Professor and Director, CAHRS at ILR School
Christopher J. Collins is an Associate Professor of Human Resource Management and Director of CAHRS in the ILR School at Cornell University. He earned his Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior and Human Resources from the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland.
Dr. Collins'' teaches, conducts research, and does consulting in the areas of strategic human resource management, the role of HR practices and leadership in driving employee engagement, and the role of HR in driving firm innovation and knowledge creation. His research has been accepted for publication in the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, Personnel Psychology, Human Resource Management Review, and Human Performance. In addition, Dr. Collins serves on the editorial boards of the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, the Journal of Management, and Personnel Psychology.
He currently teaches courses in Human Resource Management, Organizational Consulting, and Business Strategy to masters and undergraduate students in the ILR School at Cornell University. Dr. Collins has taught executive development programs at Cornell University and the Society of Human Resource Management. He has also worked as a private HR consultant or conducted executive development programs to multiple Fortune 500 organizations and several startup organizations. His consulting work has primarily focused on talent management, employee engagement, and strategic HR planning.
Dr. Collins is a member of the Academy of Management, Strategic Management Society, and Society for Human Resource Management.
- Christopher Collins, Rebecca Kehoe. 2017. Examining strategic fit and misfit in the management of knowledge workers, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 70(2):308-335. (DOI:10.1177/0019793916654481)
- Rebecca R Kehoe, Christopher Collins. . Human Resource Management and Unit Performance in Knowledge-intensive Work, Journal of Applied Psychology .
- Adam M Kanar, Christopher Collins, Bradford Bell. 2015. Changing an unfavorable employer reputation: the roles of recruitment message type and familiarity with employer, Journal of Applied Social Psychology .
- Matthew Allen, Christopher Collins, Jeff A Ericksen. 2013. Human resource management, employee exchange relationships, and performance in small businesses, Human Resource Management Journal (US) . 52(2):153-174.
- E McClean, Christopher Collins. 2011. High commitment HR practices, employee effort, and firm performance: Investigating the effects of HR practices across employee groups within professional services firms, Human Resource Management Journal (US) . 50(3):341-364.
- Adam A Kanar, Christopher Collins, Bradford Bell. 2010. A comparison of the effects of positive and negative information on job seekers’ organizational attraction and attribute recall, Human Performance . 23(3):193-212.
- Christopher Collins. 2007. Recruitment practices and product brand strength: An examination of when different recruitment strategies affect employment brand equity, Journal of Applied Psychology . 92(1):180-190.
- Christopher Collins, Ken G Smith. 2006. Knowledge exchange and combination: The role of human resource practices in the performance of high technology firms, Academy of Management Journal . 49(3):544-560.
- Ken G Smith, Christopher Collins, Kevin D Clark. 2005. Existing knowledge, knowledge creation capability and the rate of new product introduction in high technology firms, Academy of Management Journal . 48(2):346-357.
- Quinetta Roberson, Christopher Collins, Shaul Oreg. 2005. The effects of recruitment message specificity on applicant attraction to organizations, Journal of Business and Psychology . 19(3):319-339.
- Christopher Collins, Jian Han. 2004. Exploring applicant pool quantity and quality: The effects of early recruitment practice strategies, corporate advertising, and firm reputation, Personnel Psychology . 57(3):685-717.
- Christopher Collins, Paul J Hanges, Edwin A Locke. 2004. The relationship of need for achievement to entrepreneurship: A meta-analysis, Human Performance . 17(1):95-117.
- Christopher Collins, Kevin D Clark. 2003. Strategic Human Resources Practices and Top Management Team Social Networks: An Examination of the Role of HR Practices in Creating Organizational Competitive Advantage, Academy of Management Journal . 46(6):740-752.
- Scott Shane, Edwin A Locke, Christopher Collins. 2003. Entrepreneurial Motivation, Human Resource Management Review . 13(2):257-279.
- Christopher Collins, Cynthia Kay Stevens. 2002. The relationship between early recruitment-related activities and the application decisions of new labor-market entrants: A brand equity approach to recruitment, Journal of Applied Psychology . 87(6):1121-1133.
- Christopher Collins. . Alternative Systems of Human Resources Practices and Performance in Small Entrepreneurial Organizations. Oxford, (Accepted)
- Christopher Collins, Adam Kanar. . Employer Brand Equity and Recruitment Research. in Oxford Handbook of Recruitment. Oxford Press, Daniel Cable and Trevor Yu. (Accepted)
- Christopher Collins. 2013. Human Resource Management Strategies. in Encyclopedia of Management Theory. Sage , 2013. Eric Kessler. (Accepted)
- K D Clark, Christopher Collins. 2005. Strategic human resource management of top management team social networks: Controlling executive relationships for enhanced organizational performance. in Encyclopaedia of Executive Governance. Paris, France: European School of Management Press, 2005. J Duval-Hamel, F Bournois.
- Christopher Collins, M Allen, S S Snell. 2004. Entrepreneurial human resource strategy. in Entrepreneurship Encyclopedia. Oxford, United Kingdom: Blackwell Publishers, 2004. M A Hitt.
- K D Clark, Christopher Collins. 2002. Strategic Decision Making in High Velocity Environments: A Theory Revisited and a Test. in Creating Value: Winners in the New Business Environment. Oxford, United Kingdom: Blackwell Publishers, 2002. M A Hitt, R Amit, C Lucier, R D Nixon.
- Christopher Collins. 2001. Employment brand equity and the changing needs of employees. in Linking Employee Evolution to the HR Revolution. Newark NJ, United States: The Prudential Insurance Company of America, 2001.
- M S Taylor, Christopher Collins. 2000. Strategic Recruitment. in I/O Psychology: Practice and Theory Book. Oxford, United Kingdom: Blackwell Publishers, 2000. C L Cooper, E A Locke.
- J Sovina, Christopher Collins. 2003. The effects of organizational brand equity on employment brand equity and recruitment outcomes. Academy of Management Conference Proceedings, 2003.
- J Han, Christopher Collins. 2002. The effects of company recruitment practices on job seekers’ perceived employment brand equity and intentions to pursue job opportunities. Academy of Management Conference Proceedings, 2002.
- Christopher Collins, C K Stevens. 1999. Recruitment and job choice: The effects of early recruitment practices on the decision to apply. Academy of Management Conference Proceedings, 1999.
Read about executive education
Leonard Soffer studies corporate valuation, capital markets, and accounting information. Soffer's publications include Financial Reporting and Analysis (8 ed.) with Lawrence Revsine, Daniel Collins, Bruce Johnson, and Fred Mittelstaedt; Financial Statement Analysis: A Valuation Approach with Robi...
Biography Constantinos (Kostas) received his BSc in Mathematics from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece and his MSc and PhD (1999) in Chemical Engineering from the State university of New York at Buffalo, USA. He then worked as a post-doctoral associate in the Department of Chemic...
Education Qualifications Ph.D., Organizational Behavior, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 2005 M.A., With distinction Cum Laude, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 2001 B.A., Technical Management, HTS Confectie-Industrie, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 1991 Research Interest Job C...
Advanced Human Resource Executive Program
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Private Equity: Investing and Creating Value
The Wharton School
The Manchester Leadership Development Programme
Alliance Manchester Business School
Manchester, United Kingdom
Leading Digital Transformation
Strategic Human Resource Leadership
Rotman School of Management
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jan 31, 2022
Oxford Fintech Programme
Said Business School
Leading Strategic Growth and Change
Columbia Business School
The Positive Leader: Deep Change and Organizational Transformation
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Leading People and Teams
Looking for an expert?
Contact us and we'll find the best option for you.