Anshuman Tripathy has been a faculty member in the Production & Operations Management Area since 2011. He was previously a faculty member at IIM Ahmedabad. His research and teaching interests are in the areas of Product Development, Engineering and Development Organisations, and Operations Strategy, primarily in industries involved in the design and development of complex engineered systems.
My research interests lie at the interface of Product Development and Organizational Economics, i.e. design and development of Product Development organizations and related work distribution. These cover aspects of Architecture (System, Process, Product, Organization), Complex Engineered Systems, Distributed Product Development, Product Development-Manufacturing-Supply Chain Interface. Currently, I am exploring the area of Industrial Commons, studying how concepts from that field can be incorporated into the design of Product Development organizations. My research spans multiple methodologies: case-based leading to theory, analytical modeling, and quantitative problem solving.
- Work Distribution in Global Product Development Organziations, (with S.D. Eppinger), Production and Operations Management, 2013, 22(6), 1557-157
- Winner of Wickham Skinner Best Paper (Runners-Up) for Best Paper Published in Production and Operations Management during 2013
- Organizing Global Product Development for Complex Engineered Systems, (with S.D. Eppinger), IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 2011, 58(3), 510-529
My teaching interests are quite wide: Operations Strategy, Technology Management, Operations Management, Product Decelopment. I prefer the use of case methos teaching, employing the Socratic approach. I offer Core and Elective courses for the long-duration programmes, and a plethora of Executive Education Programmes.
- Invited to “The Last Lecture”1 (2017, 2018) by graduating IIMB PGP batches
- IIMB Chair of Excellence (since 1st Dec, 2016)
- Wickham Skinner Award (runners-up), 2014 (for best paper published in Production and Operations Management in 2013 for Work Distribution in Global Product Development Organizations)
- “The Last Lecture” has been initiated by the outgoing PGP batches of IIM Bangalore since 2017. They vote to invite their best faculty over the two years for a last interaction
- Associate Professor (Production and Operations Management) – Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (April 2011 – present)
- Associate Professor (Production and Quantitative Methods Area) – Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (May 2010 – April 2011)
- Ph.D. Student & Candidate (Operations Management Area) – Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Inst. of Technology (Aug 2004 – April 2010)
- Ford India Ltd. & Ford Motor Company, USA (1996-2004) – Through increasing levels of responsibility, I worked in areas of Purchasing (primarily sourcing during New Product Development), eBusiness Strategy Development, Project Management, and Product Development & Engineering. Through these eight years, I advanced from Buyer (Electrical, Exhaust and Climate Control) to my final position (at the time of leaving my job) as General Manager (Product Engineering).
- Maruti Udyog Ltd. (1994-1996) – I worked in the areas of Quality Assurance and Vendor Development.
- Ph.D. (Operations Management) – Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010
- P.G.D.M. – Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Calcutta, India, 1994
- B. Tech. (Mechanical Engg.) – Regional Engineering College (REC), Tiruchirapalli, India, 1992.