Who should attend
Anyone with responsibility for developing others or who wish to develop their coaching skills.
About the course
Coaching others is an important aspect of a manager's role. Yet, for many reasons, it is often difficult for managers to make the transition from directing, controlling and evaluating (traditional management methods) to having a coaching conversation. This skill building workshop will ground you in the underpinnings of coaching and offer a "coach approach" to managing others. Using real-life scenarios, you will gain helpful insights about your managerial style, give and receive coaching feedback, and leave with an effective model for framing and conducting intentional coaching conversations.
- The distinction between coaching and mentoring
- Benefits of coaching in organizations
- Foundational skills
- A coaching framework
- Coaching practice and peer feedback
As a result of attending this program, participants will:
- Understand what coaching is and the benefits of coaching in your work setting
- Assess your strengths as a coach and consider ways to take your coaching to the next level
- Develop skills to initiate effective coaching conversations as a management tool
- Optimize your ability to bring out the best in others through coaching
Ellen Van Oosten, PhD, received her MBA and PhD from Case Western Reserve University and her BS in electrical engineering from the University of Dayton. Van Oosten worked in engineering for many years before transitioning to academia. She joined the Weatherhead School of Management in 1995 and ha...
Meg Seelbach is a Weatherhead Affiliate Instructor who brings nearly 20 years of experience as a consultant, trainer, and coach specializing in emotional intelligence, leadership, communication, and team effectiveness. Since the beginning of 2005, Meg has been a coach for the Academic Careers in...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.