Strategic Partnerships (SP)
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with IMD Executive Education.Full disclaimer.
- Transform your strategic partnerships into a competitive advantage
- Get more out of existing alliances
- Structure and implement future joint-ventures more effectively
- Steer your portfolio of partnerships for maximum impact
Discover how strategic partnerships can boost your business
Whether already involved in a strategic alliance or weighing up future options, you need the skills to build better partnerships to support your overall business strategy.
Leveraging Strategic Partnerships will help you create an ecosystem of strategic alliances to maximize your competitive advantage.
Using your own business context as a live case study, you will identify and screen potential partners. By putting the right processes in place, you can ensure strategic partnerships are structured to your benefit, to borrow missing capabilities, adopt best practice and enter new markets cost-effectively. By developing mutual trust, you will leverage stable, fruitful strategic partnerships that also mitigate risk from competitors or imitators.
Leveraging Strategic Partnerships - your learning journey
This online course is 8 weeks long. It's long enough for you to apply to your own working context what you learn and to begin building an ecosystem of strategic partners.Over the 8 weeks of courses, here's what you will learn:
Unit 1: Introduction
- Start the program by recording an individual introduction, formulating your learning objectives and filling in a short survey on your experience in strategic partnerships.
Discover the “Five S” framework for leveraging strategic partnerships . Unit 2: Strategizing strategic partnerships
Examine several examples of traditional companies that have been disrupted by competitors with faster innovation cycles or alternative business models.
Consider how this requires rethinking the use of partnerships.
Apply lessons from Nestlé’s experience of establishing innovation partnerships.
Unit 3: Searching, screening & selecting strategic partnerships
- Learn what it takes to search and screen for strategic partnerships by examining the role of Motorola’s corporate venture capital unit.
- Determine which skills are needed to make the most of search and screening, and apply the lessons to your own strategic partnership situation.
Unit 4: Structuring strategic partnerships: equity & contracts
- Study two strategic partnerships in the storage hardware industry and consider the most appropriate equity structure.
- Discuss the role of contracts in structuring and running partnerships, including what they should cover and the degree to which they govern the relationship.
Unit 5: Structuring strategic partnerships: negotiations
- Simulate the development of a joint venture and the critical elements that are typically negotiated to make it work.
- Determine the best structure for a proposed joint venture.
Unit 6: Structuring strategic partnerships: organization
- Reflect on what the organization of a successful strategic partnership should look like and how it should operate, given the needs of the different parties in the relationship.
- Study the Electric Green Taxiing System’s approach.
Unit 7: Starting strategic partnerships
- Observe how strategic partnerships are inherently unstable; any wrong move can break trust.
- Learn how to kickstart a partnership so that it is on the path of relational trust rather than the wrong path of contractual obligation.
Unit 8: Steering strategic partnerships
- Understand how many strategic partnerships are managed in an ad hoc manner with no form of learning across the partnerships, yet the management and leadership of strategic partnership activities can be a great source of advantage.
- Study a company that has done this well.
Your Learning Coach
How we are helping you
You will have a dedicated learning coach, making sure you receive a highly individualized learning experience.
Your designated Leveraging Strategic Partnerships learning coach accompanies you through your 8-week learning journey. They provide support and feedback as you apply your learning straight away in the workplace, where it has an immediate impact.
Their input helps you translate your learning to your particular context. By spreading this feedback regularly throughout the program, you'll be sure to embed your ongoing learning directly in your daily work.
Your learning coach interacts with you via video, in writing and over the phone. You have calls, spread across the 8 weeks, at intervals that consolidate your learning.
Your learning coach helps you:
- Define your learning objectives
- Review your progress on a weekly basis
- Overcome your challenges
- Translate what you learn to your own context
Who should attend
This program is designed for executives who are currently responsible or will be responsible, for setting up strategic partnerships or alliances, or managing them in their own organization.