Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Electrical power engineers and advanced operating staff of substations, factories, electrical distribution networks and transmission.
About the course
There are two types of grounding one is the power or neutral grounding and the other is safety grounding, the aim of power grounding is make the power circuit more reliable , to avoid the over voltage and to help in the protection of the power network. The aim of the safety grounding is to make the deal with electrical networks and electrical equipment more safely. This course contains the purpose of grounding, how to make grounding for electrical networks, how to select the grounding points , types of electrodes used in grounding, grounding grid design, what is the touch voltage and step potential ,measurements of grounding resistance , grounding of electrical distribution networks , grounding of electrical equipment , grounding of cables , grounding of oil tanks and pipe lines.
Upon the successful completion of this course, each participant will be able to:-
- Understand main concepts of grounding of power system.
- Discuss how to design and install the grounding grids for different purposes.
- Discuss how substations, transformers, switch gears, towers can be grounded
- Know how to select, calculate; connect the grounding system for different purposes
- Know how to make grounding for cables , motors and generators
- Know how to protect electrical and electronic system against lightning
- Types of grounding(This point explains the difference between the safety grounding and the neutral grounding)
- Purpose of grounding in power system( It explains why we make grounding for the power system and what is the difference between the grounding and isolated systems)
- Different Types of grounding electrodes( It explains the different types of electrodes such as rod electrodes , hemisphere electrodes, plates, wires and grids)
- Equipment grounding-Grounding by rods- -Copper bonded ground rods-Galvanized steel ground rods & Chemical ground electrodes
- Measurements of ground resistivity and ground resistance( by using four electrode method and three electrode method)
- Methods of neutral system grounding( grounding through resistance, inductance surge diverter and arc suppression )
- Standard values of grounding - Charts for grounding design
- Surge Protection- Surge arresters-Masts
- Safety grounding
- Effect of electricity of human body
- Risks of not providing grounding
- Step &Touch voltages
- Safety standards
- Evaluating the factors affecting the ground resistance
- Grounding by rods and grounding by grids
- Materials of grounding system selection
- Grounding transformer
- Selection of grounding points in distribution system
- protect electrical and electronic system against lightning
- Effect of a thin surface layer of crushed rock on step & touch potential
- Conductor sizing –Standard dimensions of grounding electrodes
- Corrosion of grounding system
- Problems with ungrounded systems
- Grounding of power substations, transformers, switchgear, cables , motors , towers generators and protection system
- Type of electrodes-Ground rod accessories-Grounding rod driver-Grounding by grids- Corrosion of grounding system
- Surge arresters
- Safety standards
- Design steps of grounding system according to standards( Design according to IEEE)
- Temporary grounding system for safety and grounding for protection against lightning
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.