Who should attend
Individuals who deal with political and managerial decision makers and act in the political/administrative interface:
- Appointed Board/Commission members
- Elected Officials
About the course
Political acuity is often cited as the key to public service leadership excellence. Professional and elected official success depends on the ability to navigate the dynamic public service landscape. ‘Situational leadership fit’ means adapting personal behaviours to the grey aspects of internal administrative and political relations and personal skills alignment with strategic imperatives facing the organization. Join a timely conversation with colleagues and leave with skills, tools and strategies to enhance your contribution to organizational effectiveness.
Specifically you will learn to:
- Navigate the political/administrative interface for a favorable organizational fit
- Align leadership style with varying organizational expectations
- Nurture effective organizational collaboration
- Facilitate proactive efforts to improve political/administrative alignment
- Develop policies and guidance for good governance and administration
- Take appropriate actions to remedy political/administrative conflicts
- Coach others on the roles and responsibilities of elected officials and staff
- Assess and identify leadership development aims for personal growth
- The Public Service Paradigm – Efficiency and Effectiveness
- The Core Government Functions – Strategy, Policy, Services and Systems Spheres
- The Political Realm – Mandate of Elected and Appointed Officials
- The Administrative Realm – Responsibilities of Administration
- Leadership at the Apex – Roles of Chief Elected and Appointed Officials
- The Interface – Preventive and Remedial Relationship Strategies
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.