Senior Managers in Government
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Harvard Kennedy School.Full disclaimer.
Tackling today’s most complex challenges requires flexible and skillful leaders capable of developing innovative solutions and enduring partnerships. Successful performance in this dynamic context demands skill, insight and an ever-expanding range of talents and tools.
An Opportunity for Professional Development
Senior Managers in Government is Harvard Kennedy School’s premier executive program for elected, appointed and senior career officials in the U.S. federal government and their military, corporate sector and international counterparts.
You'll join renowned Harvard faculty and expert practitioners in government, law, education and business for an intensive three-week program building the core executive leadership skills you need to address the challenges of a large organization. You'll deepen your ability to think broadly, sharpen critical skill sets and gain the tools necessary to address a range of complex global challenges.
This Senior Managers in Government executive education program will enable you to enhance your skills in:
- Political management
- Building organizational capacity
- Policy development
- Organizational performance
Senior Managers in Government is a transformative leadership program that offers you an exclusive opportunity for professional and personal enrichment.
During this three-week program, you'll immerse yourself in lectures and group work focused on building your capacity to lead. Key components of the program include networking opportunities and group outings, all of which allow you to make lasting relationships with the other participants. Time will also be set aside for reflection and application of the material.
Further, this program makes extensive use of the case study method pioneered at Harvard. Each case describes an actual situation in public management and serves as a stimulus for you and your classmates to think through possible approaches and solutions to real-world problems. You'll reflect upon your professional experiences and meet daily in small groups and in class to discuss cases and exchange ideas.
The course focuses on the multi-dimensional issues faced by senior managers including:
- Policy development: Structuring a decision-making process that draws on knowledge from all parts of an organization and designing policies to optimize implementation.
- Political strategy: Mobilizing the support of key parties in an environment of shared responsibility to build support for a policy.
- Performance management: Defining, assessing, and improving organizational performance.
- Organizational design: Building authority and communication structures to optimize performance in an organization.
- Negotiation: Creating win-win outcomes, resolving differences, and breaking stalemates.
- Leadership: Evaluating and improving leadership styles, including leadership in crisis situations.
- International participants will learn about management systems and methods whose relevance transcends national borders taught in a broadly applied U.S. context.
- Private-sector participants will have an unparalleled opportunity to gain perspectives on decision making within government, sharpen their leadership skills and capabilities and share their understanding of the corporate world.
- Nonprofit-sector participants will examine best practices in public sector management, share insights on their unique agency demands and needs and learn alongside executives facing similar concerns in different arenas
Who should attend
Senior Managers in Government is designed for senior-level public leaders who wish to expand their professional and personal capabilities.
Recommended applicants include:
- Elected, appointed and senior career officials in the Senior Executive Service
- Senior-level military officials (General Officer level)
- International counterparts to the above (roughly half of participants come from outside the U.S.)
- Congressional staffers
- C-level executives in the corporate and nonprofit sectors
All participants will have the unique opportunity to gain global perspectives on public policy and management, strengthen their leadership skills and gain new insights in managerial practice, while learning and working with other high-level executives.