Maastricht School of Management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
- You are in a management or team leadership position or you have aspirations for a management or leadership position
- You want to improve your performance
- You want to develop skills by action learning
- You have an open attitude
About the course
Enhancing your personal leadership and management style
The Personal Leadership program mainly targets participants from non-European countries and/or NGOs who are active in these countries.
During the MSM Personal Leadership Skills course you will explore the role of leaders and your own approach to leading. The focus is on personal development and the development of emotional intelligence. Starting points are your unique strengths. During the course you will learn how to integrate new behaviors and mindsets that help you to be more effective for the challenges you are facing.
To effectively manage, develop and lead others, you have to be able to manage, develop and lead yourself. Leading yourself means knowing who you are, understanding how you act in different interactions and situations. Personal leadership is also about taking responsibility for your own actions. The greater the challenges, the more relevant personal leadership becomes. How we act and react represents a combination of cultural influences, family values, education, personality development and personal experiences. All these aspects shaped you and influenced your leadership style.
After successfully completing this course you will
- know how the concept of leadership has emerged and evolved
- understand how managerial behavior is shaped by the cultural and organizational context, personality and experiences
- have an understanding of the importance of emotional intelligence
- have enhanced your personal and interpersonal effectiveness
- have more insight on how to motivate and inspire others
- have learned practical tools to have more influence and impact
- know how to balance personal and professional areas of life
- have identified your next steps in your leadership development
During the course following topics will be discussed:
- How the concept of leadership has emerged and evolved
- Managerial behavior and the role of culture, context, personality and personal experiences
- Principles of effectiveness and the role of emotional intelligence success of today ‘s leaders
- Reflection on own career path
- Assessments of leadership style, blind spots, challenges and needs
- Practical tools and insights to build your effectiveness by adapting your leadership style to different individuals and scenario's
- Managing difficult interactions and resolve interpersonal confilicts
- Building your credibility and your impact
The teaching approach is not merely geared at transferring knowledge, but encourages livelily interactions, reflections and action-learning. The approach is participant-centered: you will be actively involved and encouraged to reflect on your own behavior and bring in cases relating to your own reality. Theories and insights from psychology, management development and anthropology and creative arts will be integrated in the method of teaching in daily classes and workshops.
Carin Beijer has over 20 years of experience in working with professionals from all over the world. After her Master degree in Organizational Behaviour she specialized in Management Development and Psychology and Anthropology. Her focus is on developing professionals, unlocking of their talents ...
Miriam Frijns has been working at MSM as a program manager and trainer since 1994. She has trained multicultural management groups, on different leadership and management related topics. In October 1998 she started Training Advice Centre: “Nihil Admiraria”. Nihil Admiraria develops corporate mana...
Some reviews for this course are not publicly available