Who should attend
Supervisors, team and section leaders who are new to their role or who have had no previous training in the basics of people management.
About the course
By using real life examples, new leaders can return to work feeling motivated and confident that they can make a positive impact in their new role.
If you are new to people management this course is the ideal way to gain the skills you require quickly. By completing pre-course work we link course material to your real life work experiences. As a new leader you will return to work feeling motivated and confident that you can make a positive impact in your new role. You will also leave with a personal post-course action plan to implement.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Develop the key people management skills to ensure success in your supervisory role.
- Enhance the effectiveness/performance of your team and the achievement of objectives and results.
- Set and reach both personal and team objectives using delegation and time management skills.
- Understand how to overcome barriers to communication.
- Motivate, manage and lead your team and individuals to meet objectives and deliver results.
- Help staff solve problems which lead to under-performance.
- Handle difficult situations and people using empathy and constructive feedback.
- Effectively supervise individuals you used to work alongside.
- Practice the skills of assertiveness and active listening.
- Deal more effectively and confidently with difficult behaviors and situations.
Defining Your Role and Responsibilities
- What is required of you? Role and responsibilities
- Meet new challenges and changes with confidence
- Meet the demands of your manager and team
- Work with your manager to achieve your goals
- Establish your personal leadership style People Management, Team Development and Delegation
- Set personal and team objectives
- Build a positive and successful team
- Recognize strengths and develop individuals' potential
- The process of delegation and its benefits
- Overcome the barriers to effective delegation
Motivating the Team
- Maximize and maintain input and motivation - build the desire for results
- Provide recognition and feedback
- Motivate to achieve maximum performance
- Link individual effort to team and organizational goals
- Overcome barriers - ensure your communications get results
- Assess and listen to your team’s needs
- Communicate more assertively in team meetings
- Define feedback and how to give constructive feedback
Overcome People Problems and Difficult Situations
- Deal with difficult people and situations - working towards positive conclusions
- Supervise people you used to work alongside
- Understand the decision-making process
- A six-step technique to problem solving
Improve Team Performance
- Prioritize and plan for yourself and others
- Respond to poor performance
- Develop effective strategies for yourself and your team
- Prepare and develop a personal action plan to support your return to the workplace
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.