Who should attend
- Attorneys in public or private practice
- Managers of corporations of all sizes
- Union representatives
- HR professionals
- Owners and managers of small businesses
- Other professionals
About the course
In this program, you will learn the theory and practice of effective negotiations, which can lead to positive outcomes and preserve relationships. You’ll learn important skills that will make you an effective negotiator, including how to distinguish between needs and interests and how to communicate and deal with difficult people. During the four-week course, you’ll observe people successfully implement these principles and practice your own skills through negotiation simulations.
Negotiation Skills and Strategies also counts as an elective towards completing the Integrated Marketing Communications Certificate Program.
You’ll gain dynamic communication skills that will help you become an effective negotiator.
- Distinguishing positions from needs and interests
- Communication skills (effective questioning skills, listening skills, and reading body language)
- Dealing with difficult people (effective recognition and use of emotions, empathy and anger management)
- Selection and use of standards, rather than power, when needs and interests do not lead to mutually agreeable solutions
- Introduction to effective conflict management
- Discussion of distributive vs. competitive negotiations
- Introduction and discussion of interest based negotiations
- Effective listening and questioning skills
- Using positive power
- Generating options
- Dealing with difficult people
- Preparation time for interest based negotiation simulation
- Interest based negotiation simulation and debrief
- Using the skills and strategies discussed in previous classes
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.