Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Managers who want to improve their negotiation performance and outcomes
- Mergers and acquisitions professionals, entrepreneurs, purchasing managers, sales and marketing managers and human resource professionals
- Government administrators and administrators of not-for-profit organizations
Please Note: Early registration is encouraged; this perennially popular program fills up quickly.
About the course
Maximize your outcome with proven strategies
There is a science to negotiation. In this immersive, highly interactive program, you’ll learn Kellogg’s proven approach to achieving concrete results, best practices and strategies to give you a critical edge. Guided by senior Kellogg faculty, both global thought leaders in their field, you’ll discover a new way of thinking about and conducting negotiation and how to develop and implement the right negotiation strategy, manage a negotiating team and remain agile and focused in a dynamic, evolving situation.
You’ll identify your personal negotiating strengths and the areas where you can improve, learn one-on-one and team-on-team negotiation techniques, apply them in simulations and receive individualized feedback on your performance. You’ll also master the essentials of deal making within and between organizations, dispute resolution and negotiating in a global environment.
- Improve your negotiation skills through challenging simulations and constructive feedback
- Prepare systematically for negotiating in any situation or environment
- Structure value-creating deals that involve multiple, complex issues
- Resolve potentially destructive, emotionally charged disputes
- Adapt in a dynamic negotiation environment
- Adjust your negotiation strategy to the demands of a global environment
- Practice negotiating solo, as part of a team and as an agent
Building a Negotiation Strategy
- Negotiate to win
- Plan and implement a distributive negotiation strategy
- Define BATNAs, bottom lines and targets
- Improve negotiation outcomes
- Participate in a dealmaking simulation
Mastering Advanced Negotiation Strategy
- Negotiate for mutual and individual gains
- Craft a win-win integrative strategy
- Optimize negotiation team
- Participate in a dealmaking simulation with integrative potential
Negotiating in Highly Competitive Environments
- Manage the tension between competitive and cooperative motives
- Establish trust and build coalitions
- Understand interests, rights and powerbased approaches to dispute resolution
- Manage highly emotional people at the table
- Avoid litigation
- Understand the effect of culture on negotiation contexts and negotiators’ interests and strategies
- Learn the role of government in cross-cultural negotiations
- Communicate and confront interculturally
- Participate in a multicultural, multiparty, multi-issue simulation
Understanding Agents and Ethics
- Learn when to use agents
- Align Incentives for agents
- Manage agents’ ethics
- Detect and deal with lying
Your Personal Negotiation Library
As a participant in this course, you’ll take home three essential books on negotiation written by your faculty: Professor Brett’s Negotiating Globally and Professor Thompson’s The Mind and Heart of the Negotiator and The Truth About Negotiations.
Leigh Thompson is the J. Jay Gerber Professor of Dispute Resolution & Organizations in the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. She is the director of the Kellogg Team and Group Research Center, the Kellogg Leading High Impact Teams Executive program, and co-director of th...
Jeanne Brett is the DeWitt W. Buchanan, Jr. Distinguished Professor of Dispute Resolution and Organizations. Professor Brett's research is in the areas of cross cultural negotiations, the resolution of disputes, and the performance of multicultural teams. Her current research investigates cultu...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.