Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program is an excellent fit for early and mid-career executives who seek to grow their negotiation skills for the benefit of their careers and organizations.
Leaders from a wide range of industries and organizations, including corporations, associations, nonprofits, startups, and public sector organizations will find this program beneficial.
Executives from most job titles and functions will also benefit from attending this program, including entrepreneurs and consultants. And those in legal, sales, marketing, real estate, community and social service, information technology, business development, human resources, sales, marketing, general management, and donor relations.
About the course
Learn how to negotiate to achieve more value and maximize the interests of your organization.
In today’s fast-paced, high stakes business environment, new opportunities and deals may present themselves at any moment and executives must be ready to negotiate. Negotiation skills may make the difference between a favorable and detrimental outcome for your organization. In this program, you’ll learn how to negotiate to achieve more value while maximizing the benefits for your organization and yourself.
In this highly interactive, live-online program, you’ll gain the skills to become a more effective negotiator. You’ll discover your unique negotiation style and its benefits in crafting a deal, explore how different strategic choices affect outcomes, acquire frameworks for cross-cultural negotiations, and identify biases at the bargaining table. You’ll also acquire powerful social capital techniques that can help you make more impactful deals and exceed organizational objectives.
What’s more, you’ll also gain a sense of confidence at the bargaining table that can only be achieved through experiences and practice. Unlike other negotiation online programs, you’ll participate in live negotiation exercises and receive live feedback from both faculty and a diverse group of peers to help you grow your negotiation skills.
By attending, you will:
- Gain essential strategies to negotiate with influence and prepare for success
- Explore your individual negotiation style and how hidden psychological biases may shape outcomes
- Discover the characteristics of a successful agreement and how social capital can help create organizational value at the bargaining table
- Learn how cultural and cross-border differences can influence negotiations in significant ways
- Understand different strategic choices and interpersonal skills that drive success to create a win-win scenario
Our live-online programs are delivered in a synchronous format where you'll engage with faculty, industry leaders, and a global set of peers in an interactive, high-impact virtual environment. Often, these programs blend live sessions with activities or projects, and readings to deepen one's understanding of the materials. The benefit to this format is that you'll receive Booth's rigorous content in short, digestible sessions held multiple times weekly and span over a few weeks.
Participants should expect to commit a total of 4-6 hours per week to this program.
Via four live-online sessions, this program provides a special opportunity to hone your real-time negotiation skills.
This program includes a live-virtual networking session, where participants will have an opportunity to introduce themselves to the cohort and share their work experience, as well as their most significant business challenge they are currently facing. Booth team members will host these forums, and will help continue post live-forum discussions onto the program's online discussion boards.
Essentials in Negotiations
- Practical negotiation concepts, techniques, and tactics
- The cognitive aspects of negotiation
Negotiation Approaches and Styles
- Common psychological biases and their impact on outcomes
- Explore individual differences in negotiation styles
- Time and deadline influence in negotiation behaviors
- Value claiming versus value creating
- Integrative negotiation and joint gains
Influence in your Negotiations
- Social capital and leadership techniques for Influence
- Bargaining ethics, legal lines, and dishonesty
- Multicultural negotiation considerations
- Real-world constraints and cross-border negotiations
Negotiation Tools and Multi-Party Negotiations
- Contingent contracts
- Coalitional negotiations
- Standards of fairness
- Commitments and threats
John Burrows is senior lecturer in leadership at the University of Chicago’s Harris School of Public Policy and an associate fellow at Oxford University’s Saïd Business School. He also teaches healthcare leadership in a newly launched double masters degree program in health policy taught jointly ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.