Who should attend
Department heads, superintendents, senior supervisors and others who need to develop their managerial skills.
About the course
This training for managers with experience of managing, designed to equip individuals for a middle management role. This training includes a review of the issues facing middle managers in business today and consists of a balance of tutorial input, open forum discussions on issues, current relevant case studies, individual reflection and group problem solving.
By the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Apply leadership and advanced managerial skills needed for senior positions.
- Effectively coach and appraise their followers.
- Employ problem-solving techniques to overcome obstacles facing them/their department.
- Resolve conflict based on a win-win approach.
- Introduce and manage change leading to continuous improvement.
- Develop time and meeting management improvement action plans.
- Characteristics of Leaders
- Leadership versus Management: The Vital Differences
- Situational Leadership
- Organizational Behavior (OB)
- Goals of OB
- Implications for Managers
- Concepts of Motivating Your Followers
- Various Theories of Motivation
Problem-Solving and Decision-Making Techniques
- Principles of Solving Problems
- The Manager as a Decision Maker
- Rationality, Bounded Rationality and Intuition
- Types of Problems and Decisions
- A Rational Approach to Problem-Solving
- Tools and Techniques in Problem-Solving
Coaching and Appraising Performance
- The Psychology Behind Coaching
- Why and How to Coach
- Setting Performance Standards and Conducting Appraisal Interviews
- Sources and Nature of Conflict
- Conflict and Group Performance
- Role of Communication in Conflict
- How to Resolve Conflict
Managing Change and Innovation
- Dynamics of Change
- Types of Change
- Leading Successful Change Initiatives
- Overcoming Resistance to Change
- Contemporary Issues in Managing Change
- Creativity Versus Innovation
- Stimulating and Nurturing Innovation
Managing Time and Staff Meetings
- Identifying and Setting Goals
- Prioritizing Activities
- Time Management Tools
- Leading and Managing Effective Meetings
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.