Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This course is intended to enhance the skills and understanding of anyone who wants to be a master negotiator. If you're already respected for your success in negotiation, you'll enhance your skills. If you're less experienced and less confident, you'll enhance your skills and techniques.
About the course
This course will train you to take advantage of the gain-gain approach, today’s most respected method of negotiation.
Based on in-depth research and success with corporate clients, this course provides the newest negotiation tools needed to ensure success in negotiations with peers, clients, customers and adversaries. The interactive format provides individualized attention and the chance to learn from experts in the room to diagnose your current strategies. By doing so you’ll be able build on and strengthen those that work and replace that don’t with proven, powerful skills. You’ll understand how to avoid common errors and negotiate rationally and effectively significantly increasing your success with even the most difficult negotiators. You’ll learn how to separate fact from fiction and reality from perception. And because knowledge is power—you’ll learn how to obtain, provide and withhold crucial information that informs your outcome. The insights learned will enable you to substantially increase the value you gain from all negotiations while improving your relationships.
Although it’s commonly understood that effective negotiators know how to manage emotion and separate the people from the problem, ignoring the people can become a problem. Understanding this dichotomy and the necessity of keeping your eye on your side of the table and your ear on theirs will improve the way people react to you. You'll learn to convey, use and manage time pressure effectively; master the art and science of persuasion; manage the bidding process, and understand power relationships to greater effect. Carefully crafted simulations based on real-life negotiations will give you a fascinating, hands-on opportunity to test and refine your skills.
- Testing and continually improving your mastery of negotiation skills
- Understanding and obtaining the traits of master negotiators
- Determining how you are perceived and learning how to act and react more effectively during a negotiation
- Understanding the explicit and implicit value you and your counterpart associate with every outcome
- Planning proactive, active, and reactive strategies to deal with any situation
- Creating a systematic framework for moving through the most complex deals
- Mastering effective first bids, counter bids and strategic anchors
- Avoiding common and costly negotiator biases
- Understanding the impact of individual differences such as gender and culture
- Assessing the advantage of real and imagined alternatives to settlement
- Assessing real versus perceived sources of relative power, to create strategies for using what you have and changing what you lack
- Understanding the most effective persuasion tactics
- Dealing effectively with the most difficult negotiators
- Understanding the difference between being ethical and being fair
- Rigorous case analysis of world-class deals
- Candid stories of success and mistakes from a panel of cross-industry experts
- Conducting an effective post negotiation debriefing session
Bio Dr. Robin L. Pinkley is the Janet and Craig Duchossois Endowed Professor of Management and Organizations at the Edwin L. Cox School of Business at Southern Methodist University (SMU), where she previously served as chairman of the Organizational Behavior Department and director of the America...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.